Fedele article on VST filter baskets, dosing, etc. - Page 3

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
AndyS

#21: Post by AndyS »

Mark Prince comments on his experience with the new filter baskets here.
-AndyS
VST refractometer/filter basket beta tester, no financial interest in the company

jknotzke

#22: Post by jknotzke »

So has anyone purchased these baskets and tried them ? Can you confirm or not the things that Mark Prince has stated ? Have any real tests been performed ?

J

Advertisement
rogier

#23: Post by rogier »

Came home yesterday after a long time away. I ordered them monday but they were already here! Unfortunately Virgin managed to lose my suitcase with the coffee I bought yesterday at Sightglass and Ritual in San Francisco.....They just called they found it, but I'm finally home and have no coffee!
I'll report back when I've used them,later today or tomorrow

another_jim
Team HB

#24: Post by another_jim »

I had a chance to briefly try out a 2.5 size (not an official designation, my label based on the ratio of hole area to my regular baskets).

Unlike my older oversized baskets, it was very easy to use; as easy or easier than my good quality regular double basket. It gave me a nice even flow with minimal fuss.

I only made a few shots; and kept brew ratios and grind setting the same (just upping the doses by 3.2 grams to adapt to the larger hole area). I noticed no standout difference in shot taste; however I had no time to explore the extraction space, I just used the identical level that worked on my existing doubles.

It was a far more civilized "updose" basket than any I have now, and I will certainly order a pair each of the 2.5 and 3 sizes, since I need to do higher dose shots for a lot of the blends we test via HB.

My expectation at this very early stage is that it will create a big improvement in consistency for non-weighing updosers, (this category includes most cafes and advanced home users). Those who weigh, record grind settings, and vary dosage will probably find it easier to use for high doses, but may not get big gains in consistency.
Jim Schulman

malachi

#25: Post by malachi »

I'm finding a slight difference in optimal dose and a rather large change in optimal grind size with the (17g) Strada / VST basket. Dose seems to be best reduced slightly and grind size reduced more significantly.

I'm also finding the results (flavour wise) are better across the board - but that it's most noticeable with coffees that do not reward updosing.
What's in the cup is what matters.

King Seven

#26: Post by King Seven »

I've had great results with the VST baskets with a fair range (17-19g in the 17g and 19-22g in the 21g). I'm generally keeping the brew ratio the same (brew weight is approx 1.5 that of dose). Brew time is usually 27-29s, using a normal 9 bar profile with flow restricted preinfusion.

Grinding finer than other baskets which generally helps up the extraction yield to high levels of tastiness when dealing with shots that short.

Marc

#27: Post by Marc »

I've been told that they broke quite easily, but i've had some of the best shot in a while with those basket, reaching more depth of flavor and smoother result

Advertisement
King Seven

#28: Post by King Seven »

There were some released a while ago that showed a higher failure rate because of the way they're machined. The VST ones are much thicker and stronger than any other basket I've used.

Marc

#29: Post by Marc »

Good to know, I would add that those shots were made in a triple basket from VST, dosing to a 18-19g with scottie callaghan tool to reach an extraction of 20%. Coffee used was ritual spring break at Cafe Myriade.

Interesting enough as with other basket a significant down dose and tighter grind would only produce a bitter end result.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#30: Post by cannonfodder »

I am having a hard time convincing myself to spend $25 on a filter basket. Then I remember how much I have spent on grinders and machines and $25 does not sound like much. That is only two pounds of coffee, actually less than two pounds of coffee with the increasing prices and shipping. If it can make a difference in the cup then it will be money well spent. Worst case, I have another basket and add it to the pile. I think I may get the triple. Since my machine likes to have head space a 21 gram basket usually holds 19 grams or less when dosed for my kit.
Dave Stephens