Faster extraction w/ bottomless portafilter?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
uRabbit

#1: Post by uRabbit »

We recently got the bottomless PF for our Rancilio Silvia V3 + PID, and have found that it is extracting very fast and is producing more coffee. For instance, we just pulled 51g from 18.6g of grounds with 8 seconds left in the extraction (1.2s pre-infusion, 2.5s saturation, 25s extraction). We are grinding much finer than normal (which holds true to this roast, as all the other methods have required a finer grind, as this one is pretty dense).

Is this just a trait of the BPF?

We pulled with the same settings using the factory PF and got 27.5g with 5s remaining in the extraction.

All extractions are ended when blonding begins.

Haven't gotten a good extraction from this roast yet, and we are seven in. Not sure if it is bitter or sour. Having a hard time. "/

Bob_McBob

#2: Post by Bob_McBob »

Are you using the same basket? There is no reason why a bottomless portafilter should extract any faster than a spouted portafilter.
Chris

uRabbit (original poster)

#3: Post by uRabbit (original poster) replying to Bob_McBob »

It is the triple basket that came with the BPF.

Also, I just pulled a shot, and it was very slow, then it gushed. >.<

ecuew

#4: Post by ecuew »

Most times, a basket change necessitates a change in grind. Grind finer with the triple basket, or if you don't want to adjust the grind use the stock Rancilio basket with the BPF.

#5: Post by uRabbit (original poster) replying to ecuew »

We will give this a shot; thanks so much!

erik82

#6: Post by erik82 »

With the same filterbasket the flow will be the same independent of the type of PF. The only difference is that a naked starts a second or 2 earlier because the coffee doesn't have to travel all the way down the closed PF and through the spout before it goes down into the cup. It will also end when you stop the pump instead of flow for another 2-3 seconds for the same reason.

Your observed difference is due to the triple filterbasket. Just take out your stock basket and put it in the naked and you'll be fine. Or use the triple basket but you'll have to put a lot more coffee in it or tighten the grind a lot which won't be advisable for the taste of the coffee.

#7: Post by uRabbit (original poster) »

Well, poop. The basket is part of the PF on the bottomless. >.<

Bob_McBob

#8: Post by Bob_McBob »

It's probably just held tightly by the spring clip. Push it out from below.
Chris

cannonfodder
Team HB

#9: Post by cannonfodder »

You will get more crema with a bottomless. Because the extraction does not snake around the inside of a portafilter, it does not deflate. You will get a slightly larger bubble with a bottomless portafilter just because of that.
Dave Stephens

DanoM

#10: Post by DanoM »

uRabbit wrote:Well, poop. The basket is part of the PF on the bottomless. >.<
As the previous replier mentioned the basket is probably just in there really tight. You can use a table knife/butter knife, spoon or whatever to pry out the basket. Some use the lip of another basket to pry out baskets too - I had to do that with a particularly tight match on my NS Oscar bottomless portafilter and basket set I ordered. It was in there hard!

Be aware that metal to metal and the prying action will create small burrs on the basket edge or knife you are pring with. They are usually fine, but don't use something you don't want any scratches on.

You can also replace those springs with something that fits your basket better. I use brass wire on my PF and file/sand the wire as necessary to get the right fit. For my La Pavoni, old retainer capable PF, I have 2 brass "springs" specific for single and double basket fit.
LMWDP #445