Extraction of the Day! Bottomless Portafilter

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Brooklynshot

#1: Post by Brooklynshot »

Just a little post to share a beautiful extraction shot and to invite you to share yours. When something this cool comes along and the timing is right... it simply must be shared.

This shot was pulled on a recently refurbished Astra Gourmet I rebuilt a few weeks ago.

Please share your shots!
Brooklynshot

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

How'd it taste?
Dan Kehn

Brooklynshot (original poster)

#3: Post by Brooklynshot (original poster) »

The taste? Quite nice... It was a home roasted Ethiopian Yirgacheffe / Brazilian blend. Chocolate followed by citrus finish. num num nummy num.
Brooklynshot

shadowfax

#4: Post by shadowfax »

Nice "tiger ball."
Nicholas Lundgaard

dsc

#5: Post by dsc »

Hi,

is it only me or is the shot blonding near the 'front' of the photo? Looks a bit like the grind was too fine and it caused some chanelling in the puck as some places are still dark and others are quite bright. It might be the photo and excessive lighting though.

Of course if it tastes good, no need to change anything, although I would definitely try a coarser grind or tamping less.

Regards,
Tom

#6: Post by Brooklynshot (original poster) »

Thanks for the great comments. You are correct regarding the blonding. This shot was taken right at the end of the extraction. I was more captivated by the nice ball formed rather than the exactness of the extraction. For these who may like to know: here is how this particular shot pulled from start to finish...

Brooklynshot

#7: Post by Brooklynshot (original poster) »

and it continued...
Brooklynshot

#8: Post by Brooklynshot (original poster) »

and then it went like this...

So that's the way it went. As you can see, it looks like I tamped a bit hard on the far side and the extraction pulled through a bit fast on the side closest to the camera. But it tasted great! and finished off like this...

decent tiger stripes and by the way that's a broad rimmed mikasa cup - not very big but the picture makes it look huge - so the shot was about 1.5 oz @ about 35 sec.
Brooklynshot

#9: Post by Brooklynshot (original poster) »

Here are a few more extraction shots from another machine I had up 'till a few months ago. It was an Expobar Office Pulser, the beans were monsoon malabar - home roasted.
Brooklynshot

#10: Post by Brooklynshot (original poster) »

So come on... get out those cameras and lets see what you can pull! Thanks... I look forward to what you've got!
Brooklynshot