Espresso then steam, or steam then espresso?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
DeanOelsch

#1: Post by DeanOelsch »

So as far as I have worked out everyone has their own preference and process to making coffee. I wanted to propose two processes I have seen and the pros/cons of each and see if there is a preferred way?

Option 1: Grind, dose and tamp coffee. Steam milk. Then pull the espresso shot while you swirl the milk for 30 seconds. Pour milk with nice thick crema. Con: portafilter cools right down by the time you make the espresso.

Option 2: Grind, dose, tamp and make espresso with nice warm portafilter THEN steam milk. Crema thins out by the time you pour the milk into it...

Which is the preferred method? Please note with my equipment, steaming the milk isn't a quick process...

THANKS

samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by samuellaw178 »

Can't speak for others. But I liked to pull first and steam later when I had a Single Boiler. For milk drinks, milk texture is the key in my opinion. Espresso taste is critical too but milk can mask a lot of defects. If you steam first, the milk tends to separate and not as silky. Mixing/swirling them in pitcher afterwards does work but not as good as immediately steamed milk.

Crema contributes for better latte art contrast, but I can do latte art just fine without crema. Plus, for non-espresso drinker, crema tends to be bitter to them, especially in comparison to the other part of the coffee.

stangdriverdoug

#3: Post by stangdriverdoug »

I'll get my portafilter ready... Lock it in, steam my milk then immediately pull my shot. In the 20-30 seconds it takes to pull the shot I'll tap and swirl my milk. Works well for me.

RapidCoffee
Team HB

#4: Post by RapidCoffee »

DeanOelsch wrote:Option 1: Steam milk. Then pull the espresso shot.
Option 2: ... make espresso ... THEN steam milk.
Option 3: Steam milk while you are pulling the espresso shot.

You have "Expobar" listed as your espresso machine. Presumably this is an HX (Office) or DB (Brewtus) model. Either of these designs allow you to brew espresso and steam milk simultaneously.
John

takeshi

#5: Post by takeshi »

DeanOelsch wrote:Which is the preferred method?
Have you tried it both ways?

DeanOelsch (original poster)

#6: Post by DeanOelsch (original poster) »

Yes it's the Brewtus. I know you can do both simultaneously but I feel the steam isn't as powerful. I have ordered the element upgrade so hopefully it gives more steam power and then I'll give it a try together... I feel I am probably quite focused on trying to get the milk right to try multitasking too much though ;-)

DeanOelsch (original poster)

#7: Post by DeanOelsch (original poster) »

takeshi wrote:Have you tried it both ways?
Yeah quite a lot... To be honest I prefer the prep the portafilter, steam milk, pull shot while twirling milk method. Issue I guess is dialing in the grind. You get the grind right, pull a great shot then think "oh crap, steam some milk fast". If I didn't care about wasting the good pour I would definitely throw it out and do it in the right order...

RapidCoffee
Team HB

#8: Post by RapidCoffee »

DeanOelsch wrote:Yes it's the Brewtus. I know you can do both simultaneously but I feel the steam isn't as powerful. I have ordered the element upgrade so hopefully it gives more steam power and then I'll give it a try together... I feel I am probably quite focused on trying to get the milk right to try multitasking too much though ;-)
Of course, this is your choice. But be aware that both espresso and steamed milk degrade over time. It's best to have them ready within seconds of one another.
John

damonbowe

#9: Post by damonbowe »

DeanOelsch wrote:Yeah quite a lot... To be honest I prefer the prep the portafilter, steam milk, pull shot while twirling milk method. Issue I guess is dialing in the grind. You get the grind right, pull a great shot then think "oh crap, steam some milk fast". If I didn't care about wasting the good pour I would definitely throw it out and do it in the right order...
This is how the pro baristas do it, if they do it consecutively. Steam then pull shot.

geeek204

#10: Post by geeek204 »

DeanOelsch wrote:Yeah quite a lot... To be honest I prefer the prep the portafilter, steam milk, pull shot while twirling milk method. Issue I guess is dialing in the grind. You get the grind right, pull a great shot then think "oh crap, steam some milk fast". If I didn't care about wasting the good pour I would definitely throw it out and do it in the right order...
This is probably the best, short of doing both at the same time. I would rather have fresh crema to pour art into and this gives you time to work the milk.