Espresso: how to find your grind vs. how strong you tamp

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
gingi

#1: Post by gingi »

Hi there.
So I got to be familiar with this "dance" - two variables that play an important rule in the overall outcome of the golden extract (19g, 24sec, ~30g extract).
My question is - how do you know how much pressure to apply when tamping?
If there is one variable that, in my opinion, is the most inconsistent, is the pressure applied.
Yes, I know there are products in the market for the suggested pressure, but they are overpriced.
Anyone out there with a creative idea?

bostonbuzz

#2: Post by bostonbuzz »

Push the same amount every time. The espro tamper doesn't seem over priced if you are really concerned.
LMWDP #353

Advertisement
another_jim
Team HB

#3: Post by another_jim »

gingi wrote:If there is one variable that, in my opinion, is the most inconsistent, is the pressure applied.
Your opinion is wrong, disproved by every single person who has ever pulled shots: tamping pressure is not a variable.
Jim Schulman

gingi (original poster)

#4: Post by gingi (original poster) replying to another_jim »

I'm surprised to learn that. Knowing how extraction works, I would believe is is a variable (density of "packed" particles). But... I might be wrong.

jonr

#5: Post by jonr »

Try it. Little or no difference.

On the other hand, I do see day to day changes in flow rate that I don't know where it comes from. Grind, dose, pressure and temperature are supposedly well controlled.

I am suspicious that pulsed tamping or nutating have an effect.

HB
Admin

#6: Post by HB »

I think a firm, hard tamp may affect the evenness of the initial diffusion of water across the puck prior to pressurization. Once the chamber has fully pressurized, the tamp isn't relevant. Not surprising once you think about the pressure difference: A 30 pound tamp spread over approximately 4 square inches of the puck (less than 8 PSI) versus more than 130 PSI from the pump. I agree that consistency is important, however learning how do tamp consistently is the easiest barista skills to master.
Dan Kehn

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#7: Post by Peppersass replying to HB »

I agree with the first two sentences and the last, but I don't agree with the third sentence. Many posts here claim that tamping pressure has no real effect because it's a small fraction of the water/pump pressure. But the effect of a solid metal surface on top of a bunch of loose grounds is entirely different from the complex and multi-directional effect of pressure from a column of water that has already penetrated the compacted puck.

I'm not saying that this means tamping pressure is important, just that the comparison makes no sense and shouldn't be offered as a reason why tamping pressure isn't a critical variable.

FWIW, I do believe tamping pressure can have an effect, very likely for the reason Dan cites in the beginning: it affects the penetration rate of the water prior to pressurization. If I tamp with very little pressure (say 5 lb), I'll get a gusher. This is probably due to gaps between the edge of the puck and the basket that don't get filled in because I'm not pushing hard enough. If I tamp really hard, I can extend the shot time a few seconds (less than five.) I'll do this sometimes after grinding multiple shots in advance and finding that the first shot has run a little too fast (if I have enough coffee, I'll bump the dose instead.)

Advertisement
allon

#8: Post by allon »

Basket prep before tamp is more critical than tamping pressure.
A machine that gives you a longish preinfusion or easy ramp to full pressure will be more forgiving of tamp.

What problem are you trying to solve? Sprites? Flow? Inconsistency? How else have you solved it? What are the other variables in the equation - grinder, grind, dose, distribution, blend?
LMWDP #331

another_jim
Team HB

#9: Post by another_jim »

It's easy to confirm the irrelevance of the tamp. Dose two identical baskets with the same amount/same grind of coffee; then distribute both baskets properly, using WDT, Stockfleth's or nutation. On one basket, place the tamper on it and rotate it to smooth the surface, without adding any weight. On the second, put the basket on the floor and step on the tamper, tamping at over 100 pounds. Now see if there's a difference.

As to the actual physics: neither the tamp nor the pump pressure (between around 7 to 11 bar) make a difference to the average flow rate, since the flow is blocked by the fines after they migrate to the bottom of the basket. What does make a difference is puck integrity and how evenly the fines distribute through the puck.

This is determined by good distribution when preparing the puck, and an even distribution and pressure ramp up as the water flows onto the top of the puck. Machines with poor water distribution require that the puck is ginve more attention during the prep; but here better distribution and leveling counts for more than tamp pressure.
Jim Schulman

ds

#10: Post by ds »

another_jim wrote:It's easy to confirm the irrelevance of the tamp. Dose two identical baskets with the same amount/same grind of coffee; then distribute both baskets properly, using WDT, Stockfleth's or nutation. On one basket, place the tamper on it and rotate it to smooth the surface, without adding any weight. On the second, put the basket on the floor and step on the tamper, tamping at over 100 pounds. Now see if there's a difference.
I'd love to see video of that :D