Espresso extraction starts off slow then too fast

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
ForzaItalia1

#1: Post by ForzaItalia1 »

Hello,

Newbie here. I just purchased a used Nuova Simonelli Oscar with a San Marco grinder. I am having a tough time making the perfect shot and already wasted 1 kilo of lavazza super creme beans!

I think i finally got the perfect grind level....the shot starts flowing at 5 seconds at a good rate but then it starts flowing way too fast and comes out watery.

Anyone know what may be the issue here?

Thanks!
Italia

bean2friends

#2: Post by bean2friends »

You are experiencing stale beans. Try some beans that are roasted within the last week and that say so on the bag. Many of the roasters listed on this web site as favorites ship fresh roasted beans that work out well. Many folks order several bags at once, or even a 5 pound bag to spread the shipping costs out and then freeze what they aren't using immediately.

jfrescki

#3: Post by jfrescki »

Here is The List of Our Favorite Roasters topic compiled over several years. It's best to order over the weekend for a Monday roast, you'll have your coffee by mid to late week. Then either use it, or freeze in mason jars if you ordered in bulk. It will be easier starting out if you use fresh beans, however it's not impossible to get a good shot out of Italian Bar beans. They're blended, roasted and packed in such a way that they can be useable months after roasting. See 2 Month Old Kimbo from Italy produces great espresso, I'm confused..

Freezing Coffee Part Two.

Also, "Super Creme" beans is going to have a high Robusta percentage, which will give your shot "super crema" and a very earthy flavor, bordering on "burnt tire", which may or may not be to your liking.
Write to your Congressman. Even if he can’t read, write to him.
- Will Rogers

ForzaItalia1 (original poster)

#4: Post by ForzaItalia1 (original poster) »

Thanks all!

I will try to experiment with different types of beans. But I was wondering if it also had anything to do with how I was packing the basket...what I do is fill the basket until there is a mound in the middle of the basket....hits the sides of the portafilter... and then scrape off the additional grinds so it is level with the basket....then I tamp. Let me know if this is the correct procedure. Thanks!

#5: Post by ForzaItalia1 (original poster) »

Also does anyone think it may be an issue with the machine? Someone told it it may have to do with the water pressure of the machine if it starts off ok then extracts too fast. Also now that i think about it there is a different sound coming from the machine when it initially starts to extract (after 5 seconds) and then when its finished (10- 20 seconds)

mariobarba

#6: Post by mariobarba »

1: Super Crema beans are meant for a moka pot, not for a pump espresso machine. Try any Lavazza in the blue one kilo bags meant for bars and restaurants for better results. Also, as someone has mentioned, the one kilo will stale very fast if left alone. I freeze the bag in small mason jars that last 3-4 days max.

2: To get any consistency, you will have to ensure you are using the same amount of coffee every time. That means using a scale or a grinder with a reliable timer function.

Good luck.

Mario

#7: Post by ForzaItalia1 (original poster) »

Grazie Mario! Forza Napoli!

I will try to measure out 7 grams per shot going forward.

I guess I am still confused as to why the flow starts off perfect but then goes too quickly. Is the water pressure increasing after I start? I would think the pressure should stay consistent. Just hoping this is not an issue with my machine. :oops:

HB
Admin

#8: Post by HB »

ForzaItalia1 wrote:I guess I am still confused as to why the flow starts off perfect but then goes too quickly.
That's the classic symptom of channeling. Do you have a bottomless portafilter? You can post a video if you want confirmation. Or search the forums, there are dozens of discussions and videos showing the symptoms. In addition to using fresh coffee and paying attention to dose/distribution/tamp, I would also replace the grinder burrs unless you're certain they're still sharp. To get the right pour time, dull burrs require too fine a grind setting, which means a razor-thin margin of error.
Dan Kehn

rittem1

#9: Post by rittem1 »

ForzaItalia1 wrote:Thanks all!

I will try to experiment with different types of beans. But I was wondering if it also had anything to do with how I was packing the basket...what I do is fill the basket until there is a mound in the middle of the basket....hits the sides of the portafilter... and then scrape off the additional grinds so it is level with the basket....then I tamp. Let me know if this is the correct procedure. Thanks!
You have received great advice so far. One thing to remember that is true among all brewing methods. Change one variable at a time. If you buy fresh beans have that be your only change to start. Your preparation may not be the issue. It can be frustrating 'wasting' beans as you put it but it is all part of the process and I promise you are learning even though it may not appear so. Following the advice received in earlier posts will greatly shorten the curve.
LMWDP #517

#10: Post by ForzaItalia1 (original poster) »

Thanks for all the advise! Look forward to jumping into this new obsession :D