Espresso 101 with Heather Perry

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Beezer

#1: Post by Beezer »

I just found these very nice training videos with Heather Perrry giving her 11 tips for better espresso. Enioy.
Lock and load!

CoffeeOwl

#2: Post by CoffeeOwl »

And that's the final one:
:D
'a a ha sha sa ma!

LMWDP #199

Psyd

#3: Post by Psyd »

CoffeeOwl wrote:And that's the final one:
I'm pretty familiar with all of those tips. Maybe not how to arrive at them the same way that Ms. Perry does, but the same conclusion, at least. Where can I find the 200 level courses? ; >

And I take it back. Heather is an artist.
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

Marshall

#4: Post by Marshall »

That's the same presentation in Pasadena I described in "A few hints from Heather Perry." What you don't see is Heather keeping her composure while her unadjusted GS/3 was freaking out and Sherri Johns running back and forth to top off its reservoir.
Marshall
Los Angeles

Randii

#5: Post by Randii »

Oh No! There's my 15 minutes of fame! As much as I tried to stay out of the way of the camera, I forgot that they got a close-up shot of the espresso when I was holding the glass! :shock: Oh well! At least my fingernails were filed! So Marshall's jacket and my hand can now get a listing in IMDb! :lol:

Beezer (original poster)

#6: Post by Beezer (original poster) »

Marshall wrote:What you don't see is Heather keeping her composure while her unadjusted GS/3 was freaking out and Sherri Johns running back and forth to top off its reservoir.
Hee hee. The wonders of editing. Here I was thinking how nice it would be to have a GS3 for these kind of conferences, since it's portable and doesn't have to be plumbed in. It's not so great if it's acting up, though.

Maybe someone will post the unexpurgated outtakes, where Heather curses at the machine while she tries to pull a shot. :evil:
Lock and load!

RapidCoffee
Team HB

#7: Post by RapidCoffee »

Psyd wrote:I'm pretty familiar with all of those tips. Maybe not how to arrive at them the same way that Ms. Perry does, but the same conclusion, at least. Where can I find the 200 level courses? ; >
Pretty basic stuff, but some nice hints there for everyone. Thanks to Eli and Pawel for posting these videos!

One of the more interesting tidbits, especially in light of recent dosing discussions: it's clear that Heather is not a fan of downdosing. She's dosing about 22g, presumably into a double basket, by heaping a mound of grinds and tapping a couple of times before leveling. No way to calculate brew ratios, but since she's pulling under 2oz volume (including crema), I'd guess these shots are somewhere between normale and ristretto in nature. Perhaps those who were fortunate enough to be present would care to comment further...
John

Brad

#8: Post by Brad »

I want to see Heather do milk. try as I might, I just can't get milk right for art.

Psyd

#9: Post by Psyd replying to Brad »

Ehm, there are two thousand three hundred and forty-seven videos of folks steaming, pouring, and even screwing up latte art. Most of them are somewhat informative, even if it isn't Heather doing the pouring/frothing. CG has a fairly detailed sectionthat helped me when I started pouring art.
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

Beezer (original poster)

#10: Post by Beezer (original poster) »

If you want to see video of Heather frothing milk and pouring art, check out this link:

http://www.pe.com/localnews/sbcounty/st ... 595c2.html

There's a link there for the video podcast. It's not the best video in terms of seeing how she froths milk, but still fun to watch.

As for general tips about milk frothing, check out this thread:

How to Steam Milk for Cappuccinos and Lattes [video]
Lock and load!