E61 maintenance - how to clean group and how often?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
edschlukebir

#1: Post by edschlukebir »

How often do you pull off the screen and do a thorough cleaning on the grouphead?

I probably average about 3 shots a day. A little more on weekends, sometimes less during the week.

Related: What's the best way to clean up in the group after removing the screen and gasket?

Randy G.

#2: Post by Randy G. »

It is so very easy to pull the screen, just start doing it every two weeks and see what it looks like in there. I do a plain water backflush at the end of every session before shutting down. That helps keep things cleaner all up in there. I just wipe the group clean with a rag. Once every 6 months or so I remove the dispersion screw for inspection and cleaning. About twice a year I lube the brew lever cam, and once a year I disassemble the group for a thorough inspection and cleaning. I use one of those aluminum keychains that are a combination bottle/pull-tab opener instead of a screwdriver to pry out the screen and gasket. The aluminum doesn't mar the group.

And here it comes again, folks....

For more detail on the E-61 group, see these two articles on my website:
How-To 18 - Simple Lubrication of the E-61 Group
How-To 19 - Overhauling and Lubricating the E-61 Group
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

Advertisement
cannonfodder
Team HB

#3: Post by cannonfodder »

Dave Stephens

HeadshotCoffee

#4: Post by HeadshotCoffee »

Given it takes about the same amount of time as simply backflushing the group, you could do it once a fortnight or so. Depends just how "proactive" you are.

Here's a pic of a machine I bought where the owner wasn't so "proactive" They went on to say that the coffee didn't taste quite as good as it used to... :wink:

edschlukebir (original poster)

#5: Post by edschlukebir (original poster) »

so you are saying that the 9 months I waited this time is to long :shock:

at least it wasn't as bad as that one yet.

Thanks for the input.

Tia93

#6: Post by Tia93 »

cannonfodder wrote:/espresso-m ... aning.html
I read that article a few months ago, but didn't notice the pic with the two PF, dirty and clean. I do the soak cleaning every week or so with a bland use (3 doubles per day), but the PF doesn't get that clean. Am I doing something wrong? Shall I add some more cleaning to the process? How, if that's the case?

Nick Name

#7: Post by Nick Name replying to Tia93 »

Ciao Mattia! :)

What I do, is I (more or less often) put my PF and my basket in a smallish kettle with some back flushing detergent (note that it says it should not get in touch with anything else than metal parts). I put the kettle on the stove and bring it to the boil. I let it boil for a few minutes and then after it has cooled down I rinse everything thoroughly. In Finland we have these brushes for doing our hand washable dishes, but I've never seen them in Italy, I use one of these hand wash brushes to get rid of any remains of detergents.

Advertisement
Tia93

#8: Post by Tia93 »

Nick Name wrote:Ciao Mattia!

What I do, is I (more or less often) put my PF and my basket in a smallish kettle with some back flushing detergent (note that it says it should not get in touch with anything else than metal parts). I put the kettle on the stove and bring it to the boil. I let it boil for a few minutes and then after it has cooled down I rinse everything thoroughly. In Finland we have these brushes for doing our hand washable dishes, but I've never seen them in Italy, I use one of these hand wash brushes to get rid of any remains of detergents.
Hello there! :)

Something like this?
http://preview.cms.vileda.com/com/produ ... spot_id=32?
They sell them at Ikea, never seen elsewhere though :P We're just sponge and wrist!

Do your PFs after this look shiny stainless steel? Mine don't :(, I'll provide pics later.
Thank you!

Nick Name

#9: Post by Nick Name »

Tia93 wrote:Hello there! :)

Something like this?
http://preview.cms.vileda.com/com/produ ... spot_id=32?
They sell them at Ikea, never seen elsewhere though. We're just sponge and wrist!

Do your PFs after this look shiny stainless steel? Mine don't, I'll provide pics later.
Thank you!
Yes, exactly like that! I guess it's a Scandinavian thing? :D

The inside of my PF is not chrome coated like the outside parts. The inside is just brass, or something similar. As long as it's clean is enough.

tohenk2

#10: Post by tohenk2 »

Nick Name wrote:Yes, exactly like that! I guess it's a Scandinavian thing? :D
I live in The Netherlands and can get them via web shops, most supermarkets and stores with baby-bottles etc. Google on "afwasborstel".