E61 group reassembly problem

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
bronsht

#1: Post by bronsht »

Need some help on Rocket Giotto Evol. 2. Instead of only taking apart and reassembling each part of my E 61 group separately, I took all of them apart simultaneously. I have downloaded pictures of how to do this so what could go wrong? Well, Mechanically inclined I am not. I have a brass ferrule left over and I cannot figure out where it goes. The correct ferrule IS installed into the lever operator assembly so it is not that one. The downloaded pics do not show another ferrule and I cannot upload a picture of my remaining ferrule. The latter is stepped with a measurement of 0.5310 inches outside diameter on the wider end. The smaller end mics at 0.430 inches o. d. The length of the unit is 0.6695 inches long.

This should go either in the top mushroom or else in the lower exhaust assembly. Does anyone know what and how to solve this? Thank you in advance.

Note to self: Do not ever do this again!

cannonfodder
Team HB

#2: Post by cannonfodder »

Have you seen this one?

Internals of an E61 Brew Head [video]

From our FAQ. Maybe you will see the part you are looking for
Dave Stephens

bronsht (original poster)

#3: Post by bronsht (original poster) »

Dave,
Thank you. Very interesting. I don't actually see it so I guess I'll take apart my group but only one assembly at a time and just see if there is somewhere the part should go.

Randy G.

#4: Post by Randy G. »

EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

#5: Post by bronsht (original poster) »

Randy,
Actually, those are the pictures I downloaded back when and the ones I used. As I wrote, I got ahead of myself and took apart all 3 parts because I reckoned I had the security of the pictures to back me up. Next thing I knew I had one extra part left over during reassembly and I cannot find that part in FCRN pictures.

Randy G.

#6: Post by Randy G. »

Post a photo of the part.....?
Then we could help.. maybe.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

erics
Supporter ★

#7: Post by erics »

I have a brass ferrule left over and I cannot figure out where it goes.
More than likely, it is this part - the mystery part.

It functions as the seat for the preinfusion valve spring.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

#8: Post by bronsht (original poster) »

Erics,
That is exactly where the mystery ferrule goes. Thank you. For some reason it did not fit inside the spring so I put everything back into the machine and while screwing the unit in, it must have forced the ferrule into the spring.

I have to order more replacement parts as I ordered an incorrect one. If I have problems I will be back besides spending hours each day on the rest of this forum. You folks are incredibly knowledgeable.

#9: Post by bronsht (original poster) »

Well, here I am again. Every time I backflush clean the group with Full Circle wash I have to disassemble the group since the lever is difficult too maneuver. I think this is normal and one is supposed to lubricate the parts.What I run into is extreme difficulty reinstalling the lever assembly. I don't understand what I am doing wrong. First, it is hard for me to get the threading in. Then as I tighten I keep checking with the lever to make sure the lever is in the 8:30 position AND the lever works in all three positions. But, as I tighten more I am unable to move the lever. So I start again and again and again. Then I give up and go back to the Elektra MCAL. By now my nerves are frazzled until I finally get up enough composure later on to try again. Then I give up until the next day. This goes on for several days until by chance I get the machine running. Instead of cleaning every week, I let it go for two weeks and then go through this process again with no improvement. I have no idea what I or am not doing.

Also I cannot tell the difference between the brew valve and the preinfusion valve. Is it likely that I have them in wrong reassembled positions? If so would that be another reason I am having problems or would that be the only reason?

I really like my Rocket Giotto Evol.2 but I am absolutely afraid of it at this point and very frustrated. I am going to make an extra espresso on the MCAL now and then walk the dog so I can get my blood pressure down. Bless you all for your assistance. When I return in the next life I am coming back with some mechanical ability maybe somewhat close to that of some of you folk or Doug at OE.

dynamiteid

#10: Post by dynamiteid »

Are you disassembling just because the lever has some resistance after flushing with cleaner? The reason I ask is that the lever on my Vibiemme E61 also has some resistance right after I flush with a detergent. However, the lever moves freely after pulling my first shot. I think the coffee oils lubricate the internals. I only disassemble and replace seals/lubricate every 1.5-2 years of light home use depending on how the machine is operating. Definitely not every time I flush with cleaner which is weekly.

Dave