Double Shot Technique in Triple shot bottomless?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
CTurner

#1: Post by CTurner »

I recently purchased the Rancilio bottomless portafilter. Really nice piece of equipment!

The Rancilio is a triple shot basket, but rather than do triple shots to gauge my technique:

can I prepare my standard double shot in the triple basket and assume I'll get transferable results? Like checking for channeling, over/under extraction, etc?

Is there something about the triple basket that would throw off my using it to check double shots (which seem pretty good right now in my new Vetrano)?

Much thanks.

JerDGold

#2: Post by JerDGold »

I haven't tested it, but I don't know what effect of all that extra head space would be. It may actually end up causing more channeling because of how violently the water hits the puck, which I imagine would only be magnified with increased headspace.

There was a video a while ago that showed what happened inside a PF on a regular machine vs. one with pre-infusion, and the results appeared pretty drastic.

chipman

#3: Post by chipman »

Why can't you use the double basket from your regular portafilter

Headala

#4: Post by Headala »

My triple has more holes than my double, which has more holes than my single. So I would imagine that is to account for the resistance of the larger puck.

I guess you can try it and see how it works....

Bill33525
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Bill33525 »

The extra head space will provide more gentle preinfusion, which might be an advantage. You will have to grind finer due to the increased preinfusion. Only you can judge whether the results are an improvement. I like the bigger basket to brew more liquid for my milk drinks.

CTurner (original poster)

#7: Post by CTurner (original poster) »

chipman wrote:Why can't you use the double basket from your regular portafilter
Doh! (slap on head) I have been so enamored with my new Vetrano (and its two lovely portafilters) that I didn't think this obvious adjustment.

This way I can truly experiment with my standard double and get the readouts the bottomless offers.

Much thanks, chipman!