Double basket in single spout portafilter?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
badmajon

#1: Post by badmajon »

Okay, this is a dumb question but I'm going to ask it anyway. I read another thread where a guy was irritated that he couldn't get a double spouted portafilter to properly pour into an Illy espresso cup... I usually put a double basket in the single spouted portafilter when making double shots. Is this bad?

Spitz.me

#2: Post by Spitz.me »

It has to do with the width of the double spout vs. the width of your cup. It has nothing to do with the type of basket you're using. The single spout can be more universally used since it'll pour right into any cup. I have a couple of cups that JUST clear my double spout enough to get it all in so I'm not surprised by your friend's issue. I use bottomless 100% and have decided unless I need to split the coffee up, I'm never going to deal with thoroughly cleaning a portafilter again.
LMWDP #670

yakster
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by yakster »

No, it's not bad to use the single spout with a double basket, since your not splitting the shot into two cups.

My Faema Faemina has fixed holes in the portafilter, not a screw in, and the spacing is a bit wide so I use my wider demitasses so I don't spill outside the cup. I wouldn't mind having a single spout or a bottomless portafilter, but I'll have to find out what's available to fit this machine.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272