Double basket capacity and distribution

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
gsisr

#1: Post by gsisr »

Hello, i own a nuova simonelli oscar and i have a general question about the basket capacity. If a double basket is capable of holding 14grams of coffee why i fill mine with 18+ grams? i know that how fine is the grind or the type of coffee affects the result but from 14 grams to 18 is a major difference..major produces very fluffy grind(i use RDT) and after tamping the coffee is almost in the middle of the basket! does this mean that it could hold more coffee before tamping? i like to grind directly to my pf and tamp (no yogurt baskets and wdt). An underdosed basket isn't a reason for channeling?
The second part of my question is, what do you thing is the best way to evenly distribute coffee by directly grinding in the pf basket with my grinder?
thank's a lot and sorry for my english..

Dave_ZA

#2: Post by Dave_ZA »

The NS basket is a little tricky, I find it is also a little too big, so my tamper (which is the correct size, I used a micrometre) leaves a slight gap when I am tamping.

I usually end up using 15-16g. But since I drink mostly cappuccino's, I dont worry too much.

A lot of folks here also mention that the NS is a bit finicky if the puck touches the screen, so the extra space might actually be good thing.