Dosing 3rd wave coffee for espresso

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Crackazz

#1: Post by Crackazz »

What do are you dosing with SO/3rd wave coffee for espresso? Should I be using +18gms coarse, high doses expecting a high acidity attempting to balance that out or a ~15gm fine grind trying to extract the sweeter tastes. I was told that if you grind fine low dose new 3rd wave coffees all you will get is overly bitter tastes and you have to use large doses with a coarser grind...

I can't seem to get a balance either way :?

High dose coarser = lots of crema weak taste no sweetness (crema is light golden brown)

Lower dose finer grind = less crema richer taster but more bitters (crema is dark)

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

allon

#3: Post by allon »

Which coffee in particular are you trying?
Is it a coffee you have had in a cafe and are trying to reproduce the pro's results, or are you experimenting wit an unknown quantity?

The way you started with SO/third wave makes me wonder if you're just trying a random SO.

Some coffees just don't work for espresso.

You might try to go even lower, though. Start at 14.0 and work your way up. The difference between 14 and 15 can be striking.
LMWDP #331

Crackazz (original poster)

#4: Post by Crackazz (original poster) »

I've tried various coffee vary dose/grind and still cannot seem to get it.... I know its me but not sure why/what

I'm using Goldstone espresso fresh from small batch coffee which I've tried in a pro machine and tasted v.good

If i was to go down to 14g I would have to grind v.fine to slow the flow down and I've seen the crema really reduce by doing this and the balance of the taste goes more bitter.

I can make everything look right in the right sort of ballpark times for dose weights but taste is not there.