Does anyone else make super-condensed ristrettos?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
EvanOz85

#1: Post by EvanOz85 »

Hey guys. This morning I pulled a shot on my Mini Vivaldi II using the triple shot basket (which I've rarely taken out) and 21 grams of coffee. I was just experimenting with the basket and grind size for it, actually aiming for 21 grams of espresso output. I ground a little finer than I intended, and ended up with 16 grams of espresso in about 40 seconds. I fully expected it to be a sink shot, but upon tasting it I was blown away by how dense and sweet it was. The consistency was almost like a syrup. I made another shot after, grinding coarser and hitting the 21 gram output I was looking for. No where near as enjoyable as the first shot.

Does anyone else make these super-condensed ristrettos?

Marshall

#2: Post by Marshall »

Welcome to Seattle!
Marshall
Los Angeles

Mach

#3: Post by Mach »

I'm a big fan of that style (he says, ducking the flying pucks), but I have worried whether I was stressing the machine.

Capitol

#4: Post by Capitol »

Just out of curiosity, did you grind with your Vario or with your Lido2?

DanoM

#5: Post by DanoM »

Mach wrote:I'm a big fan of that style (he says, ducking the flying pucks), but I have worried whether I was stressing the machine.
I don't think you need to be worried about stressing the machine other than the pump. Duty cycle on Ulka pumps will typically support a 1-1.5 minute shot as long as you give it a rest between those shots. (Actually the Ulka vibe pump duty cycle is about 1 minute on and 1 minute off for the 41W version. 1.5 minutes on with at least 1 minute off should work okay too.)

Vibe pumps are about $50, so if you like shots like that the only part that gets much stress is an easy replacement.

I like syrupy ristretto shots too. Not quite to the level of this one, but still tight and almost pudding like syrup can be really nice.
LMWDP #445

EvanOz85 (original poster)

#6: Post by EvanOz85 (original poster) »

Capitol wrote:Just out of curiosity, did you grind with your Vario or with your Lido2?
Vario, definitely. I don't use the Lido 2 for espresso at all.

dumpshot
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by dumpshot »

The Caravel is known for being able to produce this kind of shot. I had a super delicious Black Balsam espresso blend from Mtn Air roasters yesterday that was 16g in and 16.2 out (in the straight walled super double basket) at about 199-200 degrees ground on the Pharos. Syrupy, viscous, but balanced. Sweet, but with punch. I wouldn't call it particularly layered, but that is the trade off.

Lingered on my palate for ages!

Pete
LMWDP #484

EvanOz85 (original poster)

#8: Post by EvanOz85 (original poster) »

dumpshot wrote:16g in and 16.2 out (in the straight walled super double basket) at about 199-200 degrees ground on the Pharos.
That's just a normal ristretto though...?

Burner0000

#9: Post by Burner0000 »

When I am feeling adventurous I try to pull a good 2 oz triple shot. It definitely beats out how a regular double tastes but still has some bitterness. I've only ever experimented with OD'ed(overdosed) double ristretto. They always taste great even if my prep is off. Now you got me curious about a triple 21-21. Tomorrow morning I'm gonna try it out. :p #EvanOz85 What kind of coffee are you using? I am brewing with 50/50 Brazil Mondo Novo / Yellow Bourbon.
Roast it, Grind it, Brew it!.. Enjoy it!..

hrbrun

#10: Post by hrbrun »

I am starting to realize that I don't like espresso. I like ristrettos. I usually shoot 13-16gr ristretto out of 18gr coffee in about 40-48 sec. Some call that waste. I call it great!