Different results with bottomless portafilter

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
ehsan

#1: Post by ehsan »

Just got a bottomless PF for my Gaggia classic but the extraction was really fast (around 8sec). It came with a double basket but does anyone think using this to pull a single shot will effect the extraction?

I was getting around 23 sec with the standard PF and used the same grind setting and type of coffee for the bottomless shot. Really confused as to why there was such a huge difference in extraction between the portafilters.

I will have a go at grinding finer (Compak K3T) to see if that makes a difference, but other than this any other tips?

Thank you in advance.

CSME9

#2: Post by CSME9 »

My pulls using a bottomless are normally a bit 3-5 sec faster than with spout's (less backpressure i guess).
Maybe the new basket is shaped or the hole pattern is different than your other basket, use the other basket with the bottomless and see if the shot slows down.

WS

Advertisement
erik82

#3: Post by erik82 »

The difference is in the basket and not in the portafilter. If you put your old basket in the naked the result should be the same.

The first few drops in a normal portafilter will not be visible until there's enough coffee in there to get everything running towards the spout. This takes around 4-5 seconds extra when comparing it to a naked portafilter. On the other end of the espresso you have the stream continuing for a second or 2 when you shut off the pump with a normal portafilter and not with a naked portafilter. This is the coffee that is still in the portafilter and on it's way to the spout and into the cup.

ehsan (original poster)

#4: Post by ehsan (original poster) »

Thanks for your replies.

I just had a look at the standard baskets which came with my gaggia to see if I can use those but they are the 'perfect crema' type baskets which have 1 hole. So using those is out of the question until I can find out were to buy the standard baskets.

But other than this, would using the double basket on the bottomless to pull a single be an issue?

CSME9

#5: Post by CSME9 »

Try it and see, i have better luck using the double basket for double dosage. My experience with bottomless is when using the same basket i get slightly faster pours, since i have no spouts and the coffee shoots straight down more freely.

WS

Spitz.me

#6: Post by Spitz.me »

If you went from a 'perfect crema' [pressurized] portafilter to a naked PF then it's going to be a world of difference. Your naked PF shot clocking in at 8s sounds about right. But your replies are a bit confusing. Is the 'standard portafilter' your're referring to the pressurize PF or not?

/ADDITION

Just re-read your posts and so now I understand that you are referring to two different PFs. Unless I misunderstood. lol

If you are going from a single basket to a double basket, yes, you need to change your parameters for your grind in a big way. If you don't want to increase your dosage you'll have to tighten that grind drastically.
LMWDP #670

cannonfodder
Team HB

#7: Post by cannonfodder »

Changing the baskets will change the extraction. Some baskets will have a more pronounced effect. The perfect crema baskets are designed to give you a slower extraction with a pseudo crema from less than optimal coffee or grind. With a normal basket you will need to grind much finer and make sure you are using freshly roasted coffee.
Dave Stephens