Dialing in a new espresso machine, a step by step guide - Page 5

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Fullsack

#41: Post by Fullsack »

Nice job on the art.

I noticed you use the RS bottomless pf for straight shots and the stock pf for cappuccino. Any special reason for that?
If you set the 2 pf's next to each other, upside down, you will see that the distance between the lugs and the top of the pf is greater with the stock pf. Wouldn't that affect the head space and the amount of coffee you use?

A know a lot of people do it that way, but why do the espresso first and the milk second? I think I'd rather have the milk sitting for 30 seconds, (it only drops about 10 degrees), and have the espresso fresher.
LMWDP #017
Kill all my demons and my angels might die too. T. Williams

k7qz

#42: Post by k7qz »

cannonfodder wrote:I decided to video this morning's cappuccino before I headed out for church. This also shows the headspace using a Reg tamper and frothing a 'normal' amount of milk.
Nice looking Cappa!

One thing that I noticed which surprised me somewhat was that, as it turned out, my cooling flush did not need to be quite as long as recommended by others using the A3. Thanks to my Scace thermofilter, learning the appropriate "pitch" of the cooling flush hiss which corresponded to a given temperature was a breeze. I have gone back and verified this several times with the Scace and my particular A3 has been very consistent in this "temperature/sound" regard.

If you have access to a Scace or the equivalent, this might be interesting information for you as well-

cannonfodder (original poster)
Team HB

#43: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

Fullsack wrote:Nice job on the art.

I noticed you use the RS bottomless pf for straight shots and the stock pf for cappuccino. Any special reason for that?
If you set the 2 pf's next to each other, upside down, you will see that the distance between the lugs and the top of the pf is greater with the stock pf. Wouldn't that affect the head space and the amount of coffee you use?

A know a lot of people do it that way, but why do the espresso first and the milk second? I think I'd rather have the milk sitting for 30 seconds, (it only drops about 10 degrees), and have the espresso fresher.
That bottomless portafilter is actually from my Isomac, I chopped it myself. Under normal circumstances I use the single spout portafilter, not the bottomless. I prefer the finer textured crema the spouted PF produces. I used the bottomless just for the videos, normally I use that single spout for all my shots, espresso or cappa.

As far as headspace, it does not matter what portafilter your use, the basket is what seals against the group gasket. If you change baskets, than yes, your headspace could change, but it would be in fractions of a mm. What would change is your overall dose amount due to the change in basket body geometry.

Once again, under normal circumstances, I start my shot then froth my milk while the shot runs. My milk is normally finished before the shot, by a matter of seconds. I only had one hand to work with while I held the camera with the other so I ran much slower than I normally do and could only do one thing at a time.

I would not call what I did art, more like a pine tree that has been through a forest fire, but it still tastes good.
Dave Stephens

Team HB

#44: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

k7qz wrote:Nice looking Cappa!

One thing that I noticed which surprised me somewhat was that, as it turned out, my cooling flush did not need to be quite as long as recommended by others using the A3. Thanks to my Scace thermofilter, learning the appropriate "pitch" of the cooling flush hiss which corresponded to a given temperature was a breeze. I have gone back and verified this several times with the Scace and my particular A3 has been very consistent in this "temperature/sound" regard.

If you have access to a Scace or the equivalent, this might be interesting information for you as well-
My flush would normally be slightly shorter than that, but because I was working with one hand I assumed I would take longer than normal, so I flushed a little longer to compensate for the longer rebound. That was the second flush and hence shorter water dance. Under normal circumstances, I would have stopped the flush 3 or 4 seconds earlier, locked in the portafilter and brewed (5-7 seconds after the flush off to brew on depending on target temperature).

I have also adjusted my pstat down. It is just a little lower than Dan's setting in the review, 1.1 bar at the top.
Dave Stephens

DC

#45: Post by DC »

Hi cannonfodder,

Thanks for this thread it is proving very helpful indeed. I know it's a bit late in the day, but if you're going to extract your posts from this thread and turn it into a How-To, I wondered whether you could perhaps put brief tasting notes under each video? For example, if your pour shows a particular defect in the video, describe how this translates into what you taste in the cup. This might be particularly useful for people new to espresso or who normally use spouted portafilters and wouldn't necessarily notice the flaw in the extraction but could then say "Ah, that's probably because my extraction is doing xyz"

Just a thought. Thanks again,

Dave

Team HB

#46: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

I had thought about that but decided against it because of the vast differences in taste from person to person. Each defect is relatively easy to describe, and unfortunately relatively generic in the description. Bitter, that pretty much sums up the cup. The 'blond gushers' (2oz in say 15 seconds) are week in body and flavor with sour overtones due to even under extraction.

Channeling leads to a bitter cup. Most all of the preceding videos suffer from channeling. That channeling ranges from very minor sprites (sudden appearance of a light spot in the cone but no squirting coffee) to the 'get out the squeegee' channeling jets that squirt from the cone. Those can be best described as bitter. Depending on the severity of the channeling, the degree of bitterness will vary. The jet channeling presents a harsh, bitter cup from the first sip. The more minor the channeling, the less bitter and harsh the cup. Often, the minor 'sprite' channeling starts as a good cup but leaves a bitter after taste in your mouth.

Bitter and sour cups can also be produced by other means. A prime example is temperature. To low and it is sour, to high it is bitter, it really is that simple. A bottomless portafilter really is the best way to learn IMHO.
Dave Stephens

Team HB

#47: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

Have I mentioned how much I love my Elektra? Picture perfect espresso every time.

But when you wake her up, it goes from a sweet princess to fire breathing dragon.
Dave Stephens

oofnik

#48: Post by oofnik »

Excellent guide, really. I learned a lot. I'll make sure to follow this once I get my Wega Mininova up and running. Thanks for putting so much effort into explaining your process in such great detail!

k7qz

#49: Post by k7qz »

It may be parallax error but from this angle in your last pic it looks like you're pulling your shots at 8 bar on the brew pressure side of the gauge?

Genesis

#50: Post by Genesis »

8 bar is about right on the brew pressure side.....