Dial In New Espresso, Do You Have Simple+Fast Technique?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
BigBlaze

#1: Post by BigBlaze »

when trying new beans, do you have Killers Tips on

''How to Dial In'' the bag of beans?

Please share your techniques.

Thank you,

BigBlaze

mitch236
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by mitch236 »

For me, most beans seem to pull decently at my current grinder setting. I pull a shot and if the flow isn't way off, I taste the shot and determine a few things right away. I look to determine which way to go with the balance. I also can tell whether I need to change the dose (based on balance between middle sweetness and the extremes -bitter/acids). From there, it's mostly fine tuning to my tastes. I usually don't change the temperature unless I can't get the taste right using my other parameters.

cmin

#3: Post by cmin »

Yeh when I change beans there's no drastic difference, sometimes I just need to move the micro arm a couple clicks on my Preciso and other times maybe a click lower or higher on the Macro. I've never had a problem of a large difference in grind settings with beans.

Spitz.me

#4: Post by Spitz.me »

Same as Mitch, here. As long as dry dose is the same and the bean roast level is pretty similar, there's very little 'dialling-in' to be had. You have a K10 so you should be fine. On the other hand, with the Vario, it was a sliding scale constantly.
LMWDP #670

LaDan

#5: Post by LaDan »

Pretty much in agreement with Mitch and such. You have the K10 which is identical burrs to his Robur, so no surprise there.

1. Start with the same pre-ground weight. 18g.
2. Grind into PF, make perfect distribution & tamp.
3. Pull a 30g shot. Take a note of the time.
4. If the time is 5-10 seconds over 27 seconds, adjust the grinder 2 notches coarser. Same thing if the pull is too short/fast - adjust 2 notches finer. If more that 10 seconds, adjust 3 notches. 20 seconds adjust 4 notches.
5. Repeat the above. (Start again).

You will rarely need to adjust more than 2 notches from one coffee to another.

This should put you in the range of drinkable espresso within 2 tries, 3 the most. Then you do minor adjustments to your taste.

If your roaster gives parameters on their website, adjust to their parameters first, and then do minor adjustments to your taste and your machine.

mitch236
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by mitch236 »

LaDan wrote:4. If the time is 5-10 second over 27 seconds, adjust the grinder 2 notches finer.
Agree but I think you meant grind coarser

LaDan wrote:If your roaster gives parameters on their website, adjust to their parameters first, and then do minor adjustments to your taste and your machine
While I respect roaster's parameters, most of us are not using professional grade machines so should keep mindful of what works best for your particular equipment. I tend not to use roaster's suggestions until after I've dialed in what I think works, then I might try their recipe and compare. Also be wary of temperature suggestions as that parameter is the least reliable variable since accurate measured temps are hard to verify.

trihard

#7: Post by trihard »

LaDan wrote:3. Pull a 30g shot. Take a note of the time.
I'm curious how most people do this. Do people put their scales on the drip tray and pull directly into a cup that is on the scale?

mitch236
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by mitch236 replying to trihard »

That's how I pull every shot. Once you do it for a few weeks, it will be so easy and quick you won't find a reason not to do it.

TrlstanC

#9: Post by TrlstanC »

I keep a note book, with one page for every coffee I've dialed in at home. That way when I re-order a coffee I've tried before I can just start pulling it again easily. Also, if I'm trying a new coffee that I don't have any recomendations for I'll flip through the book and try to find something similar as a "jumping off point."

boar_d_laze

#10: Post by boar_d_laze »

I start by fooling around with the grinder in order to pull a "standard" shot of 19g -- plus or minus 1g -- dose, 60% (give or take) brew ratio -- as measured by eye to the blond point, with a pull time of around 27sec -- plus or minus 4sec.

Then I taste and adjust for taste and mouthfeel; first for temp, then grind, then brew ratio, while allowing time to float (although it seldom does by much).

The better you isolate variables the surer your progress will be. Coffee is a food, there's no such thing as a perfect "by the numbers" approach. "I can get it right in two cups" is not a good way to frame the challenge. It's all about taste and tasting. Take your time and enjoy.

BDL
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator