Defrosting time for whole coffee beans?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
uRabbit

#1: Post by uRabbit »

I recently read the article about freezing beans. How long should 12 oz take to defrost? Keeping them in a CoffeeVac container.

Thanks, all!

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

Since coffee is mostly cellulose (wood), I imagine slightly longer than the time it takes the container to reach room temperature.
Dan Kehn

Advertisement
uRabbit (original poster)

#3: Post by uRabbit (original poster) »

Hmm. So, since we have coffee first thing in the mornings, we should probably set it out before bed, eh?

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

Either that, or, if you're making espresso, place the container on top of the espresso machine for 5-10 minutes. Of course I would not know from firsthand experience, but I understand that works quite well in a pinch. :wink:
Dan Kehn

#5: Post by uRabbit (original poster) »

Ha! That's a great idea! Gotta love those multi-purpose warmers. ;)

Unfortunately, we do not have a machine.

bean2friends

#6: Post by bean2friends »

After reading this thread: Grinding Frozen Coffee, I started grinding my beans straight from the freezer from time to time for espresso and other preps. I do not notice a difference between the frozen and thawed.

#7: Post by uRabbit (original poster) »

Great to know!

Advertisement
Dodger1

#8: Post by Dodger1 »

I've got to admit that the cup warming grate of my machine has seen its fair share of frozen mason jars. Works pretty well, with the notable exception of one that really blew its lid when I started to unscrew the top ring of the mason jar.