Compak K-10 Pro and Channeling

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
BigBlaze

#1: Post by BigBlaze »

Tools:
Rocket R58, Compak K-10 PRO (bought new 2 years ago), VST Baskets, Cafelat tamper

Most of the time, there is channeling!

I always use fresh beans, and use needle to distribute grind.

Owner of Compak K-10, do you have any problems with channeling?

I grind, move grind with needle, level with knife, and tamp. No twist when tamping, Not hitting the PF, nothing extra, just light press once with the tamper.

Is this normal to have channeling in most shots?

Thank you,

bb

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by JohnB. »

No, but those VST baskets are finicky. I have several but use the Espressoparts HQ baskets 95% of the time. No stirring, no channeling with my K10 WBC & the HQs. Grind, dose, level, tamp.
LMWDP 267

Mrboots2u

#3: Post by Mrboots2u »

Keep it simple, stop using the needle , you shouldn't require it with that quality of grinder.
Distribute evenly , flat simple tamp.

Spitz.me

#4: Post by Spitz.me »

May sound like a cop out but I agree with John. I WDT all the time and I get some channeling almost always with the VST. I find the VST to need more head space to solve channeling for good. I put in a regular basket with little head space and no issues with channeling as long as the distribution is right.

Keeping it simple doesn't solve anything. You either have to have a process of even distribution while dosing or you WDT. The K10 throws to the left hard.
LMWDP #670

spiffdude

#5: Post by spiffdude »

I have a K10 pb which is still relatively new (maybe 15 pounds through), VST baskets and Rocket Evolution. I always use the right basket for the dose being used. Currently 18,5 grams in 18g basket. I single dose, being careful how the grounds fall in the basket, then shake very lightly to even out the grounds, tamp straight down with a "VST compatible" tamper and pull. I've also done a pop-ip coffee kiosk, with a full hopper, dosing and leveling off at the rim.

Either way, I always get some channeling, but have quit worrying about it since my shots are very tasty. Interesting to hear that VST baskets are finicky, might try something else to see if channeling subsides and taste improves even more.
Damn this forum, I've had too m..muh...mah..mmmm..much caffeine!

HB
Admin

#6: Post by HB »

BigBlaze wrote:Is this normal to have channeling in most shots?
No. With your combination of grinder/espresso machine, the forgiveness factor is very high and channeling should be rare. While you sort out whatever is the problem, it may help to reduce the brew pressure to 8 to 8.5 bar.
Dan Kehn

ds

#7: Post by ds »

If this has been happening from the start and reducing brew pressure like suggested above does not help, perhaps it would be worth trying to reseat the burrs and if that does not help get new burrs... What you are seeing should not be happening.

BigBlaze (original poster)

#8: Post by BigBlaze (original poster) »

HB wrote: it may help to reduce the brew pressure to 8 to 8.5 bar.

My R58 is setup to 8.5 bar. It use to be setup at 8 bar, and no difference in reducing channeling.

Once, my brush to remove grind, stuck in the burr. I had to dismount the burr to remove the brush. Could I have damaged anything?

Thank you for your help

BigBlaze (original poster)

#9: Post by BigBlaze (original poster) »

ds wrote:perhaps it would be worth trying to reseat the burrs and if that does not help get new burrs... What you are seeing should not be happening.
How to reset the burr?

ds

#10: Post by ds »

I meant re-seat, like take them out, clean everything nicely inside and then reassemble carefully.