Can't take it anymore... pale crema, watery tasting espresso

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Autobon

#1: Post by Autobon »

Ok. I have a bodum burr grinder. A breville machine. Non boiler. Ya I know my setup is crap. I also know that it is capable of making a decent tasting shot.

I am using the best coffee I can get. From Barismo in Cambridge mass. Google it.

The problem is a pale color, watery tasting, crema overflowing over the cup on a double shot, then disappearing after 5 seconds. It blonds very quickly after the shot starts.

Things were never this bad. Please help. Thank you.

I will upload video and images if necessary.

njtnjt
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by njtnjt »

I think we need more info about your technique, how fine you are grinding, the dose of coffee weight, etc before anyone here can help. Just fill us in on all the details.
Cheers!
-Nicholas

God wants us to walk but the devil sends a limo.

LMWDP #414

Autobon (original poster)

#3: Post by Autobon (original poster) »

Well I'm using the grinder on the finest setting.

I do not have a scale but I have tried adjusting the dose quite a bit.

Thank you fr responding.

jonny

#4: Post by jonny »

I would hazard a guess that your filter baskets are pressurized, no? The behavior you describe as well as your description of "non-boiler" breville, sounds much like a machine with pressurized baskets. If this is the case, then your stuck until you get a different machine.
That could be the case or, if not, another case that would act like this is grind setting not being fine enough which is extremely likely, given the grinder you have. How long do your shots take to pull? If it is at 2 oz in less than 20 seconds and you are at the finest grind setting, it looks like you'll be going grinder shopping!

hamish5178

#5: Post by hamish5178 »

Regardless of the machine, the Bodum Bistro doesn't grind fine enough for espresso without modification (and even then it barely works).

samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by samuellaw178 »

The suspect is the grinder...watery and pale crema, most likely the grind is not fine enough to impede the water flow for proper extraction..

allon

#7: Post by allon »

And just to state the obvious here, fineness of grind is only one metric of grind quality. One can grind fine enough to get your 25-30 seconds and still get lousy espresso because the particle distribution was off, or particle shape is not conducive to good espresso. There's more to it than just fineness.
LMWDP #331

uscfroadie
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by uscfroadie »

Nick,

I'm not trying to add insult to injury, but your grinder is incapable of grinding fine enough. That will help your situation but will not cure it. Being a previous owner of two Breville's (800ESXL - first one died within the first week), I can tell you that their thermoblock machines are incapable of delivering water at the right temp for a full 1.75 ounce double, so even with a good grinder you will have water temps too low to get a great shot, giving you a very pale colored espresso (probably sour as well).

Now, about the coffee you are using. How many days post roast is it? If it's less than 4 days it's probably still de-gassing, which will produce a lot of crema that disappears soon after the shot is done. Also, the coffee will be lacking in flavor. Different blends require different times to hit their prime, with ranges being from 4 - 12 days to hit their peak.

While some folks will tell you to get a non-pressurized basket, modify your existing basket by cutting off the pressurized bottom, or provide you with tricks to up the brew temp by switching your machine to steam for a few seconds before switching to brew, I'd recommend saving yourself a huge headache by just realizing that your current setup can only produce what it can produce. To get a better cup you will need new equipment.

Once again, sorry to only give you bad news. To recap, first make sure your beans are in the right range age-wise. Next, get a better grinder. Third, get a better machine.

Please keep us posted on your progress.
Merle

mariobarba

#9: Post by mariobarba »

I had a Breville once upon a time. I replaced the pressurized baskets with non-pressurized ones (7$ each) and discovered that the thermoblock design probably wasn't getting the water hot enough, since extractions were almost always sour. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but your setup is most likely insufficient. :(

bostonbuzz

#10: Post by bostonbuzz »

I will be money it's pressurized baskets. You can order non pressurized ones from Breville.
And good choice with Barismo- can't go wrong there.
LMWDP #353