Can wet aroma be a guide to proper extraction?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
another_jim
Team HB

#1: Post by another_jim »

This applies only to French Press, cupping and other immersion methods were a cap of ground coffee forms above the liquid (if you stir, this doesn't apply; and worse yet, you are heading for the fifth circle of coffee hell where the over-extracting gluttons reside :wink: ).

If you smell the cap, it starts out similar to the dry aroma, with mostly the fruit, flowers origin flavors. As the cup steeps, you add deeper chocolates, caramels and other roasty aromas. So the procedure is simple enough -- as soon as it starts smelling funky, push down, finish the extraction and pour.

There's a caveat. I have an aged Sumatra that starts out smelling like rotting wood and which takes about two minutes to smell better. In this case, it goes from good to the roasted funk smell after about four minutes. I'm guessing initial funkiness may be the case with fermented coffees as well.

In any case, I stumbled on this idea brewing this year's Nekisse. This is a coffee that was mistreated on its way from Ethiopia -- It is hard to roast and brew, and tends to taste faded. But even in this sorry state, a few flashes of its magic are left. I brewed this coffee with my regular timing, and it tasted like I was drinking it through an old burlap sack. After a few tries, I realized that the cap went from floral to chocolate in about 45 seconds, and from there to an old burlap sack in just under two minutes. Now I get a tasty cup by keeping it this under extracted, and raising the coffee to water ratio to compensate. That is, I brew it half the normal time, and at 1.5 times the normal coffee to water ratio.

Anybody else have experiences where they had to drastically change the brewing time to get a good cup?
Jim Schulman

Mohammad

#2: Post by Mohammad »

When I do a vac pot, I don't rely on time. I just keep on smelling for the right aroma then cut the heat. This led to way more successes than timing the process. Been doing it for years and never had trouble even with decafs. I found that the "time method" tends to need adjustment for different coffees, but the "snif method" doesn't :lol:

TomC
Team HB

#3: Post by TomC »

I think its odd that I had both those two coffees this morning I did a simple kalita wave brew of the nekkise that was wonderful. And I took the aged Sumatra to work and an hour later made a clever drip of it that was unimpressive. Just faint hits of leather, funk and ash
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

TomC
Team HB

#4: Post by TomC »

This thread has me thinking of finally putting a french press back into use. I have an Espro Press that never gets used and was just about to end up on the Buy and Sell Forum.

I think I might still have a small jar of the Nekisse in the freezer, I'm not sure, but I have plenty of it green to roast if I need. There's about 5 or 6 other coffees sleeping away in the freezer that will get the gauntlet tomorrow and the next few days that I'm off. I'm trying to nail down a proper method to keep this simple though.

My thoughts were to use the Espro press only, and fill the volume of it half way, whatever weight that dose is, calculate it into the brew ratio. Using the container only half full should give me a nice aroma trap to assess the coffees, press and go based on what I find.

I guess the sticking point will be knowing what the appropriate dose of coffee is, for various coffees. An updosed fruit bomb would be fun to try, if it's super clean and bright, hopefully sweet, but without all the caramels and toffees.

Is anyone else playing around with Jim's idea?

Eric

#5: Post by Eric »

I tried the idea with an Aeropress. I had a hard time distinguishing changes in aroma over time. I wonder if the small amount of water relative to the amount of coffee diminishes the effect. I'll be switching to a different blend soon and will try again.
Eric

entropyembrace

#6: Post by entropyembrace »

I've used this technique for years with tea before I was ever interested in coffee, so when I started brewing coffee I adapted it pretty quickly, I think it's very useful for any method where you can easily smell the coffee while it's brewing :)

jzuzphreek

#7: Post by jzuzphreek »

Would the sniff test work, though, for methods that require a drawdown (CCD is what jumps to mind). For those, wouldn't you want to begin the drawdown just before the smell is appropriate?

But then I'm ignoring my first question... how do I know the smell is right?

Pardon me, but I think my head is about to a'splode.

TomC
Team HB

#8: Post by TomC »

The smallest french press I can find is 12oz, but for this purpose the smaller the better to cut down on waste. But it's easier and cleaner than using cupping glassware or bowls. This has been fun to play around with.

An interesting and extremely simple experiment you can do with the CCD would be to make a standard brew ratio batch, and gently drain it into separate cups, waiting a certain amount of time between each. Using a timer, you could time the extraction variable precisely. The only challenge I could see is you'd be losing coffee to the high and dry phenomenon, since you couldn't really stir it without over extracting, and that would likely mess up the brew strength as you got closer and closer to the final volume of coffee being drained. Still would be fun to play with. I'll probably do that next. You could even tweak the dose up a bit and see where that lands you.