Brew Pulse from Portafilter

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Robo5014

#1: Post by Robo5014 »

Hey all, I'm still working my new rig (rocket cellini) and no where close to pulling consistent shots. One quick question...I've noticed sometimes when pulling a shot with a double portafilter that the espresso pouring out "pulses". I've read and seen videos that the brew should be like a mouse tail. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

therabidweasel

#2: Post by therabidweasel »

Can you give a little more info on your beans, dose, shot time, etc and maybe post a video? Do you have a bottomless pf? Could be channeling. If not another ignorant guess might be that your coffee is not degassed? I see that sort of thing when my coffee is less than a few days old...maybe even older if using robusta or monsooned or something like that. Definitely not an expert here, just some of my experience.

JmanEspresso

#3: Post by JmanEspresso »

If its a spouted portafilter, you could be pulling the shot too fast, or having channeling issues.

What coffee are you using?

cannonfodder
Team HB

#4: Post by cannonfodder »

Pulsing is a vague description. A video would be very helpful.
Dave Stephens

erics
Supporter ★

#5: Post by erics »

Give those beans another day (or two). I've SORTA noticed that the latest offerings from the roasters of notoriety have changed their "best" date from 3-5 to 4-6 days post roast.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

Robo5014 (original poster)

#6: Post by Robo5014 (original poster) »

Thanks for the responses. I agree "pulse" is a poor description. I will try and post a video soon. I roast my bean...mostly single region south american. Using the weiss does technique and shots are getting a little better. I think I'm still dialing in the grinder. I'm using a baratza virtuoso preciso. Still working on my tamping. Shot time I'm shooting for 25 secs for a double.