Brew parameters for consumer versus commercial espresso machines

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Qays

#1: Post by Qays »

Hello Home Baristas,

Firstly a big thank you to the founders, admins, and users for keeping this excellent resource alive and well. I live in Jordan where home espresso brewing is just about completely unheard of and have benefited tremendously from the information on this website. After a few years of using an Ascaso Basic machine I've come to the conclusion that the recipes roasters provide are perhaps most useful to those who own commercial grade machines as opposed to those who use consumer-grade models like mine. At this point I don't ever exceed 14 to 15 grams of coffee and only change the grind (output being 24 to 35 grams after 25 to 30 seconds). I cannot recall a shot that was in the 17 to 22 gram range that was superior to the same thing pulled in the 14 to 15 range - but I do recall the opposite (the latest being Social Coffee's People's Liberation which was quite unsatisfying when brewed according to the roaster's 18 gram recipe). I'm curious to know if others who have used consumer-grade machines for a while have similar or dissimilar experiences, and what people's thoughts are in general about recipes vis-a-vis the gap in consumer and commercial machines.

Thanks,
Qays

baldheadracing
Team HB

#2: Post by baldheadracing »

Many of the recipes that you see pre-suppose 58mm VST baskets of that size, i.e., if a roaster says 18g, then they are probably thinking of a VST 18g basket (at least in North America).

If you have an older Ascaso Basic, then it has a 57mm pressurized basket and probably has the "versatile" 57 mm group (you know you have the "versatile" group if your machine can accept pods, like ESE pods).

So, first, you can do better by fitting the 57mm non-pressurized double basket from the Ascaso Dream series. You may already have this basket. If so, then it has a sweet spot of 14-15 grams (or at least the one that I bought earlier this year does). I wouldn't dose higher. Just try to hit the roasters brew ratio, and forget about what they say about how much coffee to use.

Second, if you do have the "versatile" grouphead, then you can also do even better by fitting the "ground coffee kit" designed for the Ascaso Dream. (The kit includes the 57 mm non-pressurized double basket.) However, that kit may not fit your particular Basic (there are lots of versions of the Basic, some adaptable, some not). If you have the "versatile" group, the issue is that the water comes out of the group aimed at the centre of the basket (good for pods) and not showered all over the coffee (the "ground coffee kit" includes a new shower screen to address this issue).

If you do have the "versatile" group, but can't use the "ground coffee kit," then a trick is to cut paper filters (like for drip coffee, or pourover, or Aeropress) in circles and put a paper filter over the coffee inside the basket (after tamping the coffee in the basket). The paper filter blunts the stream of water into the centre of the coffee and spreads it out, giving a much better extraction.

Okay, so that's the machine. To be honest, the machine still isn't going to shine with light-roasted coffees. If you have the brass boiler version of the Basic then you can temp surf to full hot and you can get a decent extraction. However, the machine will do its best with more traditional espresso blends. With either version, the above changes will make a difference.

Good luck!
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Advertisement
Qays (original poster)

#3: Post by Qays (original poster) »

Thanks Craig for the detailed reply. I have a 2011 Basic with brass boiler fitted with the ground coffee kit and un-pressurized basket (without those "upgrades" its just an overpriced Saeco Poemia). My experience is exactly as you have stated about dose and more traditional roasts doing better.

It does seem then that a good deal of coffee talk makes assumptions that pretty much doom the novice to a commercial-level upgrade. That is, someone with a consumer grade machine will try to get results based on recommendations intended for more powerful equipment and thus will feel compelled to upgrade when, if he made the right adjustments and persisted the upgrade may not be necessary at all. In places like Jordan where one is faced with up to 120% duty and consumption taxes when importing appliances knowing this can save money as well as time and frustration.

Many friends and acquaintances ask about the possibilities and methods of good espresso in emerging/third-world countries. I've seen that people asking online are often told to just throw in the towel and get a pour-over/Aeropress setup. Yet it seems to me that the current state of technology has brought good espresso well within reach of the casual coffee consumer (though extra effort and money are still required). I am thinking of suggesting to those who ask that (as far as equipment goes):

a. one get a descent grinder (nothing less than an Ascaso I-Mini)
b. then get a machine with an Italian pump (say at least a well constructed Delonghi or Saeco - which can be converted to non-pressurized if needed)
c. then confine oneself to a traditional Italian, ristretto-ish standard, modifying and improvising recipes to conform.

Point "c" above means no more than 16 grams of coffee and not trying to steam more than 4 oz of milk at a time - producing drinks no larger than 6 oz. All work is done by the grinder which is adjusted based on shot appearance, texture in the mouth, and taste as opposed to things like water temperature and extraction time. It does seem that within those parameters (with something like Illy whole bean coffee - if local roasters aren't up to par) one can make good to great coffee (perhaps not exceptional) even with such comparatively modest equipment. It's about good home espresso within one's coffee means.

With those assumptions appropriate roasts and machine specific preparation methods could then be discussed.

How does that sound?

baldheadracing
Team HB

#4: Post by baldheadracing »

120% Duty and import taxes - ouch!

In Canada, we are now paying effectively 50% more for equipment than our neighbours in the USA - if that were more than doubled like you experience, then yes, the Aeropress is sounding pretty good! Keep in mind that with an Aeropress one can make espresso-strength coffee, but it isn't brewed under as much pressure. In addition, there are Mokka Pots, which can give great coffee. In either case, heat up the milk in a microwave or stovetop, and foam the milk using a French Press (or use a stovetop steamer), and one can have a pretty tasty drink!

Getting back to "real" espresso, I understand that Ascaso has switched to 58 mm portafilters across all models. However, I have not actually seen any such machines, so I am not sure. (A few years ago, Ascaso confused everybody by marketing "60 mm" portafilters that were actually for 58 mm baskets, and "58 mm" portafilters that were actually for 57 mm baskets.) However, if all their machines do take 58 mm baskets now, then one can use commercial 58 mm baskets in their home machines. There are also a number of made-in-China machines with small stainless-steel boilers that take 58 mm baskets.

In any case, even with the 57 mm baskets, I'm not sure that I agree with the "ristretto-ish standard" part of your point c. While the small boilers limit how much hot water is available, one could dose, say, 12 g coffee, and pull 30g-36g into the cup. Unlike larger machines, it is the water volume that is the constraint, so one must dose less coffee to get a lungo brew ratio.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Qays (original poster)

#5: Post by Qays (original poster) »

Yep taxes can be brutal. Mind you Delonghi, Francis Francis!, and Elektra have dealers here. There is also commercial beans - Lavazza, Illy, and Bun al-Ameed - a local brand that hits shelves within days of being roasted. So people can at least get a feel for traditional Italian drinks at home with what's on the market here without having to import. AeroPress is not espresso at all as opposed to what a pressurized Delonghi system produces which is, at least by traditional Italian standards.

It's good to know Ascaso is going 58mm standard yet I'm happy with the Basic as it is. Some may disagree with this here but, for me, aiming for good espresso with a scale, grinder, some Illy beans, and a machine from one of brands mentioned above is far better and more satisfying than ditching the enterprise and going pour-over or Aeropress (unless no pump or manual espresso machines are on the market). But that's another topic.

With regard to the "ristretto-ish" comment - I should have been clearer but I meant that to refer to overall volume (not exceeding 30 - 40 ml in the cup) not the ratio which, as you mentioned, can always be played with. So I'm essentially saying that with small single boiler machines I try to keep things "to scale" which means smaller drinks for sake of quality and I don't pretend my Basic is somehow a Slayer or Linea Mini just because the manufacturer says "built with commercial components".

mathof

#6: Post by mathof »

Italian coffee bars are equipped with commercial-grade equipment but they employ volumes of beans and output similar to yours. Following them, I do the same in London with my prosumer Londinium 1. When I follow a brew recipe, I cut down the quantities and retain the brew ratio. I prefer my results to those I usually taste in London's upmarket coffee shops.
Matt

maudy

#7: Post by maudy replying to mathof »

Agreed... Except using my R58 :)

Advertisement
jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#8: Post by jwCrema »

Honestly, I ignore the roasters brew instructions.

I am interested in their perception for the length of time the beans should rest before use. About 1/2 the time the person I talk to on the phone @ the roaster regarding this simple question has no idea what I am talking about.

Trying a new roast involves a fair amount of testing and I start with the standard input/output/time formula and a blind tester (wife). How the espresso tastes with color as a supporting input is what matters.

I have owned a modest number of espresso machines over the years. If I had to pick one machine, I'd go with a lever. I love the Cremina, but would be happy with a small Pavoni. And, even my used Cremina was cheap compared to the ECM. I've seen used Pavonis in the $400 range, which is very economical. Grinders are another story - wow what a difference they make. I am happy with my SJ, but I would not rule out a future upgrade in this category. I keep looking at massive commercial models that come up on Craig's when a shop bites the dust.

LaMarzooka

#9: Post by LaMarzooka »

Back when I used to make espresso with Miss Silvia (and, drove both ways to work uphill in 3 feet of snow), roasters provided little to no brewing parameters for their customers. Instead, I had Schomer's research, H-B, and CG. Somehow, I still managed to produce better espresso than I could find anywhere in the city from the > $10,000 commercial machines. Most consumers ordered heavily flavored, ginormous lattes or mochas anyway. That gave me the benefit of better beans and better knowledge/skills. I relished the 2:1 advantage I had over them. :mrgreen:

Fast forward to today, and I usually start with a roaster's parameters but I also don't believe in one-size-fits-all solutions. Experimentation provides me a lot of enjoyment and interesting discoveries.
Espresso or no go!

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#10: Post by jwCrema »

And to clarify - I've pulled amazing shots from both the LaPavoni and Cremina. An average shot out of either of them is vastly better than what I've been served at upscale espresso shops that have massively commercial machines. My view is that a cheap machine operated by someone with a science based process will do better espresso than 95% of the shops on planet earth.