Breville Duo Temp Pro Channeling Problem

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
JoelS

#1: Post by JoelS »

Hi, I have a Breville the Duo Temp Pro espresso machine. I was noticing channeling in my puck after pulling a shot. I took a photo of the grouphead with the portafilter removed to show the water flow. The water flow only comes out of the right side of the grouphead, the same side the channeling shows in the puck. Also, I just did the back flush...didn't change the flow any.

Is there an issue with my machine? Cheers in advance.
I've posted this question at Coffee Geek forum but haven't had any comments back yet. Perhaps one forum is frequented more often? https://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/espre ... 717#711717

Joel

jph437

#2: Post by jph437 »

Can you pull the shower screen and soak it in califiza? Meanwhile look at the distribution block with the screen off and run the pump and see if the water is flowing eveningly from there.

JoelS (original poster)

#3: Post by JoelS (original poster) »

Thanks for the suggestion jph. I pulled the shower screen off and the backside of the screen was covered in some pretty gross burnt black sludge. Came clean with soapy water. Turns out, routine back flushing doesn't do much. This is after only 5 months of use. All clean now, and espresso tastes even better. Thanks!

Kellyk

#4: Post by Kellyk »

Back flushing with cleaner right? Coffee oils don't come off well with just water.

JoelS (original poster)

#5: Post by JoelS (original poster) replying to Kellyk »

Yup, I was using the detergent pill with back flushes.

jph437

#6: Post by jph437 »

JoelS wrote:Thanks for the suggestion jph. I pulled the shower screen off and the backside of the screen was covered in some pretty gross burnt black sludge. Came clean with soapy water. Turns out, routine back flushing doesn't do much. This is after only 5 months of use. All clean now, and espresso tastes even better. Thanks!
<image>
Great to hear! Incredible how nasty these machines can get even with regular up keep. Enjoy!

mmctsai

#7: Post by mmctsai »

Hi, pls kindly advice how you took out the shower screen? mine is crooked when portafilter is fitted and I can't pull two cups at once now, I tired to unscrew the nuts below, but the shower screen was firmly stuck to the machine? thanks and appreciate :)

mmctsai

#8: Post by mmctsai »

Hi, does anyone know how to take off and readjust the fitted portafilter position? many thanks.