Ben Kaminsky on Espresso: Why you hate it and how to fix it [video]

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
farmroast

#1: Post by farmroast »

From the Nordic Roasting Forum 2013 that just ended today. Espresso science
LMWDP #167 "with coffee we create with wine we celebrate"

yakster
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by yakster »

Thank you Ed for sharing that. That video covered a lot of ground, some of it discussed already within forum topics. This reinforced one of the changes I plan to make in my roasting "profile" on the Behmor to spend more time in development before first crack and worry less about stretching out the time after first. I'm going to send the roasts to a friend for some independant feedback on the changes.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

m03ppp

#3: Post by m03ppp »

Hi,

thanks for the very interesting link, but could it be that at 0:55:46 the video skips and a very interesting part about the EK43 is missing?

Regards

varnex

#4: Post by varnex replying to m03ppp »

The segment on Mazzer grind distributions being made to cater to the Italian light-tamping audience was pretty fascinating. I'm guessing this particular design choice/compromise (more fines) is the reason why tamping pressure is viewed with less relevance to flow rate and why the EK (less fines) necessitated a more tightly packed puck to achieve a slower flow.
The talk does skip that part, but it's basically just a rehash of why the EK43 is better (lower coffee wastage for higher quality). The slide can be found at http://nordicbaristacup.com/2013/11/ben ... to-fix-it/ which also has another video with Ben going over different coffee profiles.

m03ppp

#5: Post by m03ppp »

Thank you very much. I had hoped he would explain why they use the ek43 with turkish burrs for their "coffeeshots" although it should have a more modal distribution than the coffee burrs.

Marshall

#6: Post by Marshall »

Counting the weeks until EK43's become standard home gear on HB.
Marshall
Los Angeles

SlowRain

#7: Post by SlowRain »

I want to taste his coffee.

ds

#8: Post by ds »

Marshall wrote:Counting the weeks until EK43's become standard home gear on HB.
Its sounds like perfect home grinder. Single dosing built-in, lasts forever, apparently tastes better than Robur, what's not to like? :lol:

dustin360

#9: Post by dustin360 »

Marshall wrote:Counting the weeks until EK43's become standard home gear on HB.
Haha, so true!!! It's all ready becoming something every cafe needs regardless if they are using it for espresso. It seems not everyone is aware that the "Turkish" burrs are what are being used for espresso grinding/brewing. NOT the regular ones.

lindt

#10: Post by lindt »

dustin360 wrote:It seems not everyone is aware that the "Turkish" burrs are what are being used for espresso grinding/brewing. NOT the regular ones.
The 3FE shop is using the Turkish burrs. I have not seen any other shop using them. Matt Perger used the coffee burrs when competing although he also experimented with the Turkish burrs.