Been playing with E61 for a month. I need help :)

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Luvlatte34

#1: Post by Luvlatte34 »

Hey guys,

So I've playing with my new tools for some times now and obviously there,s things that aren't going right, or at least, I know could be much better.

I must've watched over 5-6 hours of video, I did watch all the introduction video from HB and I knew it wouldn't be an easy task, but after going through 3lbs of coffee in the last month, I think I'm at the point of asking for help lol! As I believe I played around enough to recognise theres a problem lol

Problem :

#1) With the bottomless, 4 times out of 5 theres a stream of water pissing in a 45degress angle ( creating a mess lol..) It's frustrating because I read that the Bottomless is the ''newbie'' PF, but I can't get it right. With the double cup, I can get crema and clean extraction.

#2) Taste is average, Can't really say if it's too bitter or acid, but it's not the best ! Could you recommand me a ''neutral'' roasted beans I could buy online ? Right now, I used lavazza espresso (red one) blend and it was NASTY. CIMA blue label, which produce the best cup. And a local coffee shop who has good reputation over here ; it's their ''caramel', soft espresso blend ( perfect for latte). Which is OK, but produce very little crema.

#3) I can't get nice foam. I tried 1% and 3.25%fat. We've looked at a few youtube video and we seems to be doing the samething, but it doesn't really work. I'm wondering if the machine isn't powerful enough for that ? Seems like the milk gets way too hot before producing any type of foam. Espro said their special design is best used if you aim the steamer right in the middle of the jug, but that didn't really work. Then we tried kissing the milk on the surface which produced some foam on top, but very short-lived.

1) Equipment ;
San Remo LX ( HX type)
Mazzer Major ( bought aftermarket new blade, havent installed yet as my actual blade looks to be very similar)
Cafelat tamper 58mm
PF ( Rocket bottomless and OEM Double)
Taylor thermometer
Espro V2 milk jug
Water ( I'm using a regular 20$ brita)

- Here, I'm wondering if I should be using another type of water ? Is brita filtered water enough or I should buy 4 liter jug of xxx water ? What should I buy ? Spring water ?

- My father said there's beans that produce more creama by nature than other type of beans ? Or it all depends on the freshness and/or roast ?

- I'm currently grinding at 0.8 on my mazzer. I tried 1.5, but it look too coarse to me. However, I know the average is more like 1 to 2 I believe right ? Should I be concern about my grinding setting ?

- Another aspect is my tamping ; I think I would need a 58,35mm tamper. This one seems to always leave some fluffing around the puck.

Long post I know, but if you ever read all this and got something to share please do ! I will consider it and try to improve next weekend :) Thanks !!

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

Get a small cocktail whisk to stir the grounds well in the basket. Don't rely on just the Major to give a good distribution in the basket (especially if you're single dosing).

Put the new burrs in.

Buy only fresh roasted coffee. Take a break from the Lavazza stuff for a bit.

Don't stress over the water.

Dont stress over the tamper.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

h3yn0w

#3: Post by h3yn0w »

definitely be sure you have beans freshly roasted, with a roast date printed from no more than two weeks ago. Stirring grounds as noted will help a lot with channeling too. If you don't have a whisk, a bent out paper clip or toothpick will work fine too. Search for WDT for more info and idea.

Randy G.

#4: Post by Randy G. »

So many variables that most of us here could write a treatise on it. I have... :wink:
On my website www.EspressoMyEspresso.com, check out this article: 12 - EASY GUIDE TO BETTER ESPRESSO AT HOME. it is as much a trouble shooting guide as anything.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

wachuko

#5: Post by wachuko replying to Randy G. »

Love how you started that document... " Espresso will humble you." So true, so true... :oops:
Searching for that perfect espresso!

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

Sam

#6: Post by Sam »

I've found my Major to need more taming than I expected - but I have insanely good extractions now and much better quality than I had with smaller (or, as my wife reminds me, more reasonably sized for a home, grinders).

I have a dosered version, which I added a shnoz to. I also added a plastic flap to add some backpressure to the be spray of grounds, which, along with a RDT spritz, tames the majority of my static issues.

Then I go a step further. Too far? Maybe. But I like it. I dose into a mason jar that's the same diameter as my basket. I give the grounds a VERY vigorous stirring with a mini-whisk from the dollar store to mix them up and make sure there's no clumping. Then, all 20g of that into a 20g VST basket, a tamp with a VST tamp, and I'm off to the races.

Luvlatte34 (original poster)

#7: Post by Luvlatte34 (original poster) »

Thanks guys !! very good guide.. I will read through during lunch time :)

I should add, I have a doserless Mazzer, so I grind maybe 150gram into a big jar, do the WDT method, then use the OE dosing funnel and fill the PF and tap it in the palm of my hand. then tap !

BaristaBoy E61

#8: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

I would also suggest weighing each dose for more consistency. Grind only what you need per shot. We've had our Montreal water tested at a McGill University chemistry lab and the results were very good. We don't use any filtering and espresso tastes excellent, if this kills the machine then that's my excuse for 'Suivent, Next', hello Speedster, Slayer or lever!

I also love (as do our guests!) the El Salvador Noir, that we get freshly roasted from Café Plantation, 7500 Boul. des Galeries d'Anjou, you might enjoy trying some. I have no affiliation to this business.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

SimonPatrice

#9: Post by SimonPatrice »

BaristaBoy E61 wrote: We've had our Montreal water tested at a McGill University chemistry lab and the results were very good. We don't use any filtering and espresso tastes excellent, if this kills the machine then that's my excuse for 'Suivent, Next', hello Speedster, Slayer or lever!.
I'm very surprised to read that as I always heard other café owners complain about how bad Montreal water is for espresso. From the city of Montreal's website it is stated to have 8.19 grains/gallon (Imperial system) or 6.86 grains/gallon (American system). Isn't this quite hard?
Patrice
LMWDP #428

MNate

#10: Post by MNate »

The bottomless portafilter is only a beginner's tool in the sense that it quickly shows you when you have something wrong in your basket prep (which that steam of water shows you do). Try things, read around more on what works for others, try more until you can get an even flow every time. Actually I was doing great at that but just recently have had some streams that has made me break down my prep again to see how to get it right every time. (And yes, old or bad beans make it even harder to get this right).

So I'd work at that number one and almost not worry about anything else until you get it!