Baratza Vario: my solution for dosing funnel

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
stangdriverdoug

#1: Post by stangdriverdoug »

Hello all,
I have been really happy with my Vario but depending on the beans I use it can be very messy getting grinds all over the counter. I didn't really want to spend $20-40 on a dosing funnel so I made my own. I wanted something that was a little nicer looking then a cut up yogurt cup so I found the top of a laundry detergent container and used my Dremel to cut it. It works perfect.... No grinds on the counter, I can slide it into the grinder and use hands free, and perfect for WDT if I choose to. Here are the pics:

Advertisement
CoruscatingCoffee

#2: Post by CoruscatingCoffee »

Great! That's a wonderful suggestion that took me 5 minutes in the making. I have my coffee bar in the laundry room and never thought of it. Now, I can dose all my baskets from 51 to 58mm with the same funnel. Thanks.
"Make me one with everything" said the Zen Master to the hot dog vendor.

stangdriverdoug (original poster)

#3: Post by stangdriverdoug (original poster) »

Cool! I'm glad I could help!

ash4889

#4: Post by ash4889 »

stangdriverdoug wrote:I wanted something that was a little nicer looking then a cut up yogurt cup so I found the top of a laundry detergent container and used my Dremel to cut it. <image>
What detergent top did you use??

stangdriverdoug (original poster)

#5: Post by stangdriverdoug (original poster) »

Costco brand.

ash4889

#6: Post by ash4889 »

Thanks so much

cannonfodder
Team HB

#7: Post by cannonfodder »

Only thing you have to watch out for with plastic is static. Nothing worse than having a quarter of your coffee stuck to the sides of the container due to static cling on a dry day.
Dave Stephens