Al's Rule, brew ratio, and the variable I'm missing?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
YouRang87

#1: Post by YouRang87 »

Newbie here/1st post/ hello HB!! Real quick about myself, I worked as a barista for about 4 years, mom and pop shop, not bucks. All my training was mostly about different milk based drinks and good frothing with not much emphasis on good espresso. I feel confident making many different drinks. I don't work as a barista anymore, and I am now a real HB. Milk hurts my stomach, and to be honest I don't like it, my true passion is straight espresso and the journey to brew greatness. Using this site I have educated myself on als rule and brew ratio "awesome chart!" But I believe I am missing a Variable if you would. Set up- Gaggia Classic, and of course I cut corners and have a hand grinder, very fine but not powder.

MY QUESTIONS- using ratios I have brewed around 30 percent lungo range in 35 seconds making a lil over 2 ounces. I have brewed in the 50/60 percent range in 30ish seconds yielding a lil under 2 ounces. I have not played around with ristretto yet. Note: double shots here using 16 to 18 grams on a scale. I feel like maybe I am getting conflicting info.

I have read on here that a lungo shot should be closer to 20/25 seconds and a ristretto longer brew time 35 seconds. I find myself doing the opposite. I am running the pump longer to achieve a heavier yield lungo and shorter to achieve a closer to ristretto. My volumes of Liquid seem to be correct and I notice the taste difference between my ratios but am I doing this wrong my controlling my ratio/volume by pump time. I ask because some info suggests I should be controlling this through grind setting? I understand finer grind/ more time equals ristretto, coarser grind/ less time equals lungo. Which methods should be emphasized? Grind to achieve different ratios or pump time to achieve correct ratios. I feel like both are going to get me there. Are you great shot pullers adjusting grind setting every time you want to go from ristretto to lungo. Like this setting is for ristretto this setting is for lungo? Or are you just varying brew time with the same grind setting, and dialing in grind by blonding? Thankyou. Oh and I plan on getting a great grinder soon.

brianl

#2: Post by brianl »

check this out. Lungo isn't mentioned but you can extrapolate from the data

Mano Lite: A Short Guide to Dialing in Espresso SOs and Blends

Generally the lungo will extract faster, which explains the shorter recommended time (it is more diluted, however).

By pulling a short ristretto, you are under-extracting the coffee (why we need a longer time).

Of course, do whatever taste great.

emradguy
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by emradguy »

In either case, lungo or ristretto, you pull the shot until it is finished. For most people, that means at the blonding point, which should also be the point at which viscosity is lost. Merely stopping the pump earlier or later will not achieve the results you seek. You'll need to asjust dose and grind to get the right balance for your extraction - whether that means going from ristretto to lungo or vice versa. Have a look at the resources available (the one Brian provided above is an excellent start) that tell you how to balance a shot, and take it from there...and no, before you ask, a balanced ristretto does not taste the same as a balanced lungo - all other variables being the same.
LMWDP #748

boar_d_laze

#4: Post by boar_d_laze »

The "correct" pull times for given shot styles -- ristretto, normale, lungo, and cafe crema (aka cafe Suisse) -- aren't written in stone. Normative time for all four styles is the same, but there's plenty of give or take. Unless you have really consistent technique, a really consistent grinder, and are pulling shots with a volumetric machine, differences of less than 20% from 28.5 seconds are trivial. In other words, any time between 22 second to 35 seconds is not particularly worrisome.

Gaggia makes a lot of different espresso machines. If yours is an SBDU, unless its temp is PID controlled your temping will be variable (no matter how good your temp surfing technique), and so will your rates of extraction. Given the inherent inconsistency of that sort of system, I wouldn't take time differences too seriously.

If one shot at a given brew ratio goes 22 seconds and tastes great, while the next at the same ratio goes 32 seconds and tastes equally great -- they taste equally great. Success. Not uncommon. No worries. In Italian, "Fuhgeddaboudid."

As you know each style is defined by its brew ratio. Ristretto is 1:1; Normale, 2:1; Lungo, 3:1, Cafe crema, 5:1. Of course, just like time, there's some fudge factor. For instance, a shot which is closer to ristretto than normale, is still ristretto. As it happens, I pull most of my shots right at the ristretto/normal border. There's no name, it's just what I like.

Pulling a ristretto is kind of like kicking the horse and pulling back on the reins at the same time. That is, slow flow rate and fine grind (necessary for the slow rate) tend towards over extraction; but low water volume through a given mass of grinds tends towards under extraction. A good ristretto is a balance. Some people find that a very slow flow rate leading to pull rates as long as 45 seconds works for them. Whether it's a happy accident or a style, it's not a rule.

Lungos and cafe Suisse -- high flow rate, lots of water -- require a similar balancing act.

If you want Rich's rule: Unbalanced espresso tastes bad.

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator