18 second double

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Laur67

#1: Post by Laur67 »

Hello
I was a bit surprised to hear from a friend at a local bakery that was told by their bean supply rep to target a 18 second double shot. At the bakery, they are using a La Marzocco Swift grinder and Linea machine.
When I heard this I became a bit agitated as my experience and info I have come across has indicated 25-30s thereabouts depending on brew ratio one prefers.
I should note I did not taste the coffee as it was later in the evening and I most likely could have answered this question based on taste. I'm actually curious if anyone does indeed pull 18 second doubles?

Thanks in advance for your comments

LukeFlynn

#2: Post by LukeFlynn »

The lowest I've ever pulled a shot is 21 seconds, and even that was very under developed and over extracted. That has to be an error of some sort, I've come across my fair share of cafes using very reputable, otherwise specialty coffee equipment (Lineas, etc) that produce really bad espresso. I've also been to several shops using Astorias and Rancilios that really blow away a lot of the former places... proves that machines are pretty much moot in a commercial venture (except grinders)

LaDan

#3: Post by LaDan »

Pfft. I can pull a triple in 9 seconds if I really try hard. :roll:

PS. They are clueless.

keno

#4: Post by keno »

I think it would be hard to extract enough from the coffee that quickly. Generally the recommendation is 25-30 seconds, but sometimes you can get very good shots with a longer extraction. I've never really heard anyone going shorter and getting good results.

The only explanation I can think of is that if they are using over-roasted coffee then cutting the shot at only 18 seconds may help to avoid too much bitterness. But that's just speculation.

aecletec

#5: Post by aecletec »

LukeFlynn wrote:The lowest I've ever pulled a shot is 21 seconds, and even that was very under developed and over extracted. <Snip>
How do you over extract at 21s?

LukeFlynn

#6: Post by LukeFlynn replying to aecletec »

Shot flows too fast yielding too much liquid = over extraction
Shot flows too slow yielding not enough liquor = under extraction

Not exactly relatable to the OP's question, but I've never had a shot pulled in under 22 seconds that was tasty.

aecletec

#7: Post by aecletec »

Oh, gotcha. Thanks. It's a good point for the topic overall, though.

TomC
Team HB

#8: Post by TomC »

LukeFlynn wrote:Shot flows too fast yielding too much liquid = over extraction
Shot flows too slow yielding not enough liquor = under extraction

You have this backwards.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

LukeFlynn

#9: Post by LukeFlynn »

TomC wrote:You have this backwards.
yeah I realized this after I posted it, just haven't had the chance to fix it on mobile.

brianl

#10: Post by brianl »

TomC wrote:You have this backwards.
Assuming it's not channeling, he is correct.