Synesso Cyncra Single Group - A Home Barista's Perspective - Page 3

Behind the scenes of the site's projects and equipment reviews.
lennoncs

#21: Post by lennoncs »

Abe Carmeli wrote:Sean, I love them nevertheless! hell they are 10 times prettier than those stilts-for-legs I had before :).
For those who were not in the kitchen(which is everybody) when Abe and I were doing temp testing on the brewtus "pre-chicken leg"; I was holding the machine down and Abe was locking in the PF because it was balancing on these little bits of wood....the sad part was I had a part in the bits of wood also.

Sean

malachi

#22: Post by malachi »

Nice report!!
sounds like some fantastic espresso!

some thoughts...
Abe Carmeli wrote:...keeping dosage at 16 grams with an L/M ridged basket.
suggest experimenting with the Vivace espressos downdosed slightly in an LM triple basket. I think you'll find superior results.
Abe Carmeli wrote:...I have used Daterra Reserve before from Caffe Fresco, and I roasted it myself a few times. I know that blend very well. It is a forgiving blend on both dosage and temperature, and has a medium body. I dialed it low 197f intentionally. Came out too light on body, a little undefined, and sour. Dosage was 16 grams. Let it go up to 199f, it is coming together. Fruit, marzipan, and those wonderful floral aromas. At 200-201f I got the best result. Medium body, chocolate, incredible aromatics, fruity, balanced, rounded. A big wow. A fantastic straight shot, I dare say, the best Daterra shot I've had.
The Ecco Caffe Daterra is a noticably different roast (both degree and profile) than the Caffe Fresco.
I'd suggest looking, again, at a different dose and possibly different basket (triple basket, standard dose or ridged double, 17.5 gram dose).

Also... with both coffees, what sort of volume/time are you shooting for?
Are you sticking with the same time/volume for all espressos?
What's in the cup is what matters.

Advertisement
Abe Carmeli (original poster)
Team HB

#23: Post by Abe Carmeli (original poster) »

malachi wrote:Nice report!!

The Ecco Caffe Daterra is a noticably different roast (both degree and profile) than the Caffe Fresco.
I'd suggest looking, again, at a different dose and possibly different basket (triple basket, standard dose or ridged double, 17.5 gram dose).
It does taste different than Fresco's roast. I did not have enough time to fine tune dosage, and I generally settled on ranges of 16-17.5 grams depending on the coffee.

Also... with both coffees, what sort of volume/time are you shooting for?
Are you sticking with the same time/volume for all espressos?
Dolce:
16 grams
27 seconds
1.5 oz

Daterra:
17g
26 seconds
1.75 oz
Abe Carmeli

Team HB

#24: Post by Abe Carmeli (original poster) »

malachi wrote:suggest experimenting with the Vivace espressos downdosed slightly in an LM triple basket. I think you'll find superior results
Chris,

Out of curiosity, what dosage/basket is Schomer using for Dolce?
Abe Carmeli

Jepy

#25: Post by Jepy »

When I started modifying my Synesso groups I noticed what I thought to be possible lower temp traps in two locations, 1 at the top where the shower screen attaches, it is at least 1/2" deep circular area (from inside tank), and the bottom shelf like area near the 3 way valve mount. This really seemed to be possible when the groups sat idle for a while. Just a theory though....

Team HB

#26: Post by Abe Carmeli (original poster) replying to Jepy »

How did you modify the groups, and why? Was it a temp stability issue?
Abe Carmeli

houdina

#27: Post by houdina »

Abe, since Synesso said no secrets, could you post some interior photos. I'd love to see how they handled preheating brew boiler feed water and other interesting bits.
Gregg

Advertisement
Team HB

#28: Post by Abe Carmeli (original poster) replying to houdina »

Yes, that post is coming up a little later this week.
Abe Carmeli

malachi

#29: Post by malachi »

Abe Carmeli wrote:Chris,

Out of curiosity, what dosage/basket is Schomer using for Dolce?
Triple basket, downdosed slightly (should end up slightly below the line).

malachi

#30: Post by malachi »

Abe Carmeli wrote:Dolce:
16 grams
27 seconds
1.5 oz

Daterra:
17g
26 seconds
1.75 oz

Suggest:

Dolce: triple basket, 19grams, LM triple basket, 28seconds, 1.5oz
Ecco Daterra reserve: 19.5grams, LM triple basket, 28 seconds, 2oz (or 17.5grams, ridged double basket, 25 seconds, 1.75oz for a different profile)

Feel free to drop me a PM if you have coffees you're going to test and want to take a 'shortcut' vis a vis dose/extraction/temp