Mypressi TWIST - Second Look - Page 3

Behind the scenes of the site's projects and equipment reviews.
woodchuck

#21: Post by woodchuck »

Abe, thanks for putting together this great review. Lots of places you could take this later; effect on taste of nitrogen loading (I think the cartridges are N2O), impact of low cost grinders, different coffee profiles etc. One takeaway I have from this excellent review is that good espresso has a lot more to do with good coffee than fancy machinery.

Cheers

Ian

JmanEspresso

#22: Post by JmanEspresso »

Good job the Second Look guys, Im pretty surprised at the results. I didn't expect much from something like this, but I want one now. It will be great for having 'spro on vacation. I learned last year that bring a vacpot and a press is no problem, but bringing my espresso stuff is a hassle. Good stuff fellas'!

Advertisement
hperry

#23: Post by hperry »

woodchuck wrote:One takeaway I have from this excellent review is that good espresso has a lot more to do with good coffee than fancy machinery.

Cheers

Ian
Although the Twist appears to be a pretty fancy and sophisticated piece of machinery.
Hal Perry

woodchuck

#24: Post by woodchuck »

Hal, true, I was thinking there are many more parts in some larger tabletop machines.

Cheers

Ian

hperry

#25: Post by hperry »

Absolutely right. Like some levers, the genius seems to be in a rather sophisticated simplicity.
Hal Perry

Abe Carmeli (original poster)
Team HB

#26: Post by Abe Carmeli (original poster) »

woodchuck wrote: One takeaway I have from this excellent review is that good espresso has a lot more to do with good coffee than fancy machinery.
I would put it somewhat differently. From my observation, and this is not just about the TWIST, there is a threshold a machine must pass to produce real espresso. Once that threshold is passed, it is the coffee and barista that make the difference. Good coffee is indistinguishable from bad coffee on a crappy machine. Beyond the threshold, advances in machinery have a marginal effect on quality in the cup - the law of diminishing returns applies here. The innovation of the TWIST is that it has passed the threshold while simplifying & miniaturizing the "machine" to a degree we haven't seen.
Abe Carmeli

IMAWriter

#27: Post by IMAWriter »

This comment applies strictly to traveling and such. Just my opinion, but with all the fiddling necessary to get the temperature in the ballpark, the time needed before actually pulling the shot, the continued expense of the nitrogen capsules and such, IF one intended to use an electric device to heat water, I'd get a used La Pavoni and manual grinder. over the course of a year, you'd be about even.

An Arrarex Caravel would be even sweeter. heat the water over the campfire, stick your cheap steaming thermometer in there, pour the water in the Caravel, and ya get MULTIPLE shots, bang bang bang.

I guess I'm in the minority here, but just because something can get good, OK even excellent results but require a less than simple regimen to accomplish the task is just too "geeky" for me.

Based on Abe and Dan's "taste buds" I have no doubt the Twist can make nice espresso.
If the determination of that fact is the object of this thread, then WELL DONE, SIRS!

Still, I have to respectfully disagree with Hal ("Like some levers, the genius seems to be in a rather sophisticated simplicity.")
As a lever owner, if I had to go through the Twist manipulations for 1 shot with my Cremina, I would have sold the Cremina the day I got it.

Advertisement
hperry

#28: Post by hperry »

IMAWriter wrote:Just my opinion, but with all the fiddling necessary to get the temperature in the ballpark, the time needed before actually pulling the shot, the continued expense of the nitrogen capsules and such, IF one intended to use an electric device to heat water, I'd get a used La Pavoni and manual grinder. over the course of a year, you'd be about even.

I guess I'm in the minority here, but just because something can get good, OK even excellent results but require a less than simple regimen to accomplish the task is just too "geeky" for me.

Still, I have to respectfully disagree with Hal ("Like some levers, the genius seems to be in a rather sophisticated simplicity.")
As a lever owner, if I had to go through the Twist manipulations for 1 shot with my Cremina, I would have sold the Cremina the day I got it.
Reading the review I'm not sure that there is more fiddling than doing the water dance with an HX or getting the right pressure on a manual lever. I still remember trying to cool my Cremina with a cold towel. :roll: The twist still sounds more convenient than packing a Caravel - not to mention how well the Caravel might hold up to the journey.

Based on the description I'm thinking it might be a pretty good fit, though, for someone who was looking for a low cost, high quality way of getting into espresso - particularly if paired with a reasonably priced steaming unit and maybe a Baratza Vario. Requests for recommendations for that profile appear here frequently.

I'll have a better idea in a couple of days. Mine shipped today.
Hal Perry

michaelbenis

#29: Post by michaelbenis »

Anyone got any comments on how this compares with a Handpresso or even AeroPress on the road?

I'd be little worried about dumping the little o-ring on a fuzzy-headed morning....
LMWDP No. 237

JonR10

#30: Post by JonR10 »

IMAWriter wrote:This comment applies strictly to traveling and such. Just my opinion, but with all the fiddling necessary to get the temperature in the ballpark, the time needed before actually pulling the shot, the continued expense of the nitrogen capsules and such, IF one intended to use an electric device to heat water, I'd get a used La Pavoni and manual grinder. over the course of a year, you'd be about even.
As for muss & fuss...don't knock it 'till you try it. 8)
It's pretty much as simple as boil, preheat, dump, fill, pull.

As for cost? Maybe after a year the used LaPavoni is a wash for the Mypressi + N2O cartridges (if you paid $200) but IMO the coolness factor of the Mypressi is over the top and the tiny form lends itself well to travel. In a hotel room, all you need is a sink and a kettle (or other device to boil water).

I've never tried a LaPavoni and I'm pretty sure I could learn to pull a decent shot on one, but also it seems to me that temp management with the chrome peacock is quite an exercise itself and involves careful timing and wet towels for multiple shots. The Twist seems like it would be more easily repeatable for temperature and it's pretty forgiving for pulling shots (heck - the basket can hold 20+ grams!).

But of course, that's my take and each will have their own preferences
Jon Rosenthal
Houston, Texas