La Marzocco Linea Mini Review - Page 5

Behind the scenes of the site's projects and equipment reviews.
Beezer

#41: Post by Beezer »

erics wrote:I believe your definition of complexity may be a little different than mine. Other than the obvious dramatic reduction in brew boiler size, I still see a pretty complex piece of machinery.
I don't know. It looks a lot less crowded than the inside of a GS3.

Internals of the La Marzocco GS3
Lock and load!

bobmccarthy

#42: Post by bobmccarthy »

How about hot water tap? Is it temp controlled like the GS or just water off the steam boiler.

bob

Advertisement
HB
Admin

#43: Post by HB »

It's off the steam boiler. If you haven't read it, CoffeeGeek has a helpful First Look that describes its other features and includes a bunch of photos.
Mark Prince wrote:The hot water tap is accessed via the big front panel knob on the left. Unlike the GS/3 though, there is no mix valve for the Linea Mini's hot water function - it is just pure steam boiler water. Some won't care, some would prefer to finely tune their hot water for teas, americanos and other hot water needs.
Dan Kehn

malachi (original poster)

#44: Post by malachi (original poster) »

bobmccarthy wrote:How about hot water tap? Is it temp controlled like the GS or just water off the steam boiler.
As with the Linea, the Mini is straight off the boiler and largely useful for rinsing cups / etc.
What's in the cup is what matters.

shadowfax

#45: Post by shadowfax »

HB wrote:It's off the steam boiler.
This ought to make the internals a good bit less complex. Not surprising with a manually operated valve; it's hard to imagine a reliable way to do mixing without solenoid valves.
Nicholas Lundgaard

Teme

#46: Post by Teme »

erics wrote:Wow Teme - 2.5 years between posts - was this sabbatical authorized ? :)

I believe your definition of complexity may be a little different than mine. Other than the obvious dramatic reduction in brew boiler size, I still see a pretty complex piece of machinery
Yes, it's been a while :D Time flies etc. And I guess the combo of being busy on the job and content with the coffee gear has taken its toll...

In terms of complexity, yes, the Linea Mini is more complex than the Londinium I. However, I also think it is less complex than a Vesuvius or a GS3 MP with the Strada mods.

Br,
Teme

Gman

#47: Post by Gman »

As your average serious "home-barista" looking for a new machine, (finding neither the Vivaldi/Dream or the GS/3 to my liking), I like everything about the machine BUT a dial instead of a PID is a poor choice. This is preferred by the more serious professional crowd! Sorry, I'm not buying that argument. Heck, I'd settle for a grouphead temp probe. A simple dial raises more questions than it answers, at least for me. Every other machine in their line uses a PID readout so why not this model?
So, how hard would it be to swap the dial or add a PID?

Advertisement
shadowfax

#48: Post by shadowfax »

Please read comments more carefully. A PID is a process controller that implements a specific algorithm to control a process. The Linea Mini has one. It just does not have a digital display.

Edit: The discussion of the PID is mainly in the thread in the espresso machines forum on the Linea Mini.
Nicholas Lundgaard

HB
Admin

#49: Post by HB »

Gman wrote:Every other machine in their line uses a PID readout so why not this model?
Cost? Product line differentiation between the Linea Mini and the GS/3? That is, the models progress from Mini Linea to GS/3 AV to GS/3 MP with increasing functionality and price at each step. It's a common strategy employed by auto manufacturers, i.e., distinct product differentiation at each pricepoint so their products don't compete against each other.
Dan Kehn

pizzaman383
Supporter ❤

#50: Post by pizzaman383 »

If it uses a potentiometer to control the PID setting then it would be fairly straightforward to add an analogue gauge showing the current string and meeting with the non-digital feel our the machine.
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”