Dalla Corte Mini - Second Look - Page 9

Behind the scenes of the site's projects and equipment reviews.
Endo

#81: Post by Endo »

The Dalla Corte Mini seems to use a very cheap OPV compared to the one used on Mini Vivaldi. Can someone comment on what affect this might have?

Dalla Corte Mini OPV:

Mini-Vivaldi OPV:

"Disclaimer: All troll-like comments are my way of discussing"

HB
Admin

#82: Post by HB »

Endo wrote:Can someone comment on what affect this might have?
Affect on what? I cannot imagine it makes any difference in terms of shot quality.

Expobars have had the same OPV for years. Judging from the Expobar Brewtus III, they recently switched to one that looks similar, but has a metal adjustment screw instead of nylon. The one you pictured on the Vivaldi is also on the Quickmill and a host of other espresso machines. It's less finicky to adjust and looks more sturdy; I have no data to claim one is more or less reliable than the other.
Dan Kehn

Advertisement
Endo

#83: Post by Endo »

From what I read in the article below, the Dalla Corte Mini OPV (plastic fluidotech) is the cheapest of the lot and would struggle to achieve lower pressures:

http://coffeetime.wdfiles.com/local--fi ... _Valve.pdf

I'm surprised they are using it on this expensive machine when it has already been replaced on the cheaper Expobars.

HB
Admin

#84: Post by HB »

Interesting. We certainly had no trouble adjusting the brew pressure:

Not to encourage bit-wise comparison of espresso machines, but the Fluid-o-Tech is rated for continuous duty (PDF specs). The ubiquitous Ulka pumps have a one minute on, one minute off duty cycle.
Dan Kehn

Marshall

#85: Post by Marshall »

Endo wrote:From what I read in the article below, the Dalla Corte Mini OPV (plastic fluidotech) is the cheapest of the lot and would struggle to achieve lower pressures:

http://coffeetime.wdfiles.com/local--fi ... _Valve.pdf

I'm surprised they are using it on this expensive machine when it has already been replaced on the cheaper Expobars.
I guess this answers the question, "Are all Vivaldi owners obsessed with the Dalla Corte?" :D
Marshall
Los Angeles

another_jim (original poster)
Team HB

#86: Post by another_jim (original poster) »

It seems the rumored bad blood between the two companies has spilled over to their users. Welcome to the house of Capulet, Marshall. Bet you didn't know who you were joining when you bought the machine. :roll:
Jim Schulman

RapidCoffee
Team HB

#87: Post by RapidCoffee »

Marshall wrote:I guess this answers the question, "Are all Vivaldi owners obsessed with the Dalla Corte?" :D
At least one is not. :P Maybe I'm the exception that proves the rule.
John

Advertisement
akallio

#88: Post by akallio »

HB wrote:Expobars have had the same OPV for years. Judging from the Expobar Brewtus III, they recently switched to one that looks similar, but has a metal adjustment screw instead of nylon. The one you pictured on the Vivaldi is also on the Quickmill and a host of other espresso machines. It's less finicky to adjust and looks more sturdy; I have no data to claim one is more or less reliable than the other.
It was switched in later models of Brewtus II, for a good reason. I had a Brewtus II with the original OPV (nylon screw), and it was completely incapable of controlling pressure to around 9 bar. So I switched it to a new OPV (metal screw) and that was barely capable of controlling to 9 bar.

Jacob

#89: Post by Jacob »

Marshall wrote:I guess this answers the question, "Are all Vivaldi owners obsessed with the Dalla Corte?" :D
What happened to the GS/3 obsession? Doubt is a bitch :mrgreen:

Endo

#90: Post by Endo »

The Dalla Corte Mini and the Mini-Vivaldi are similar in design, so it's natural to compare. No envy here, I could have bought either and been just as happy. I'm pointing out the OPV because it seems odd to use that one.

Now GS/3 envy....that's another thing. :D Chas Rimpo (the owner of the S1cafe forum) just bought a GS/3. Some dreams do come true.