Dalla Corte Mini - Second Look - Page 6

Behind the scenes of the site's projects and equipment reviews.
HB
Admin

#51: Post by HB »

For those following this review, Eugene has the Dalla Corte Super Mini, the bigger sibling of the model Ian has discussed in this thread. The Super is 20" tall versus the regular Mini 15.4", bigger steam boiler, higher wattage, steam tap, etc.
Dan Kehn

woodchuck

#52: Post by woodchuck »

One of the nice things about double boilers is lots of steam and the Dalla Corte Mini is no exception. I timed some different size pitchers today. It took 23 seconds with the stock tip to get 8oz of 40°F water up to 160°F. The tip that came with my machine is a three hole tip. Not sure of the exact hole size. If I had to guess I would say around 1.0mm based on some of my other tips. Larger volumes took longer - 10oz was 35 seconds and 12oz was 44 seconds. I didn't wait for the steam boiler to recover at all just the time it took me to get setup for the next test. Maybe a more "controlled" experiment would put recovery time in there between tests. It may speed up the larger volumes a bit. Needless to say you won't run out of steam.

One small issue with steaming is the articulation of the steam wand. It won't raise up quite enough to easily fit a larger pitcher underneath. Here is a picture of the wand fully raised and a 16oz and 24oz pitcher. The 16oz just makes it and you have to work at it to get the 24oz under the wand.

A little more lift would have been nice.

Cheers

Ian

gscace

#53: Post by gscace »

HB wrote:For those following this review, Eugene has the Dalla Corte Super Mini, the bigger sibling of the model Ian has discussed in this thread. The Super is 20" tall versus the regular Mini 15.4", bigger steam boiler, higher wattage, steam tap, etc.

I'm guessing that a plumbed-in supermini actually saturates the puck in a 4-second pre-infusion due to its rotary pump and associated water mains pressure. The photos of the 4-sec "pre-infusion" from the vibe pump-equipped mini don't speak well for that particular implementation. From those photos there is no effective pre-infusion for the majority of the coffee cake.

-Greg

jthor

#54: Post by jthor »

geneene wrote:<image>

<image>

<image>

My SUPER MINI!!!! and espresso shots

really lovin it!! :lol:

What exactly is that inviting object in the middle? That picture is a beauty.

Beezer

#55: Post by Beezer »

Looks like a small spoonful of sugar. Nice how the crema supports it. I can almost taste the shot. Yum!
Lock and load!

geneene

#56: Post by geneene »

a detailed look at the brewhead

Dalla Corte evolution / super mini / mini brewhead

brewhead

removed the showerhead and showerfilter

showerhead set

:)

shadowfax

#57: Post by shadowfax »

Wow, thanks for the diagram and photos. I am very impressed with that design--seems like a group that truly is designed with a dedicated brew boiler in mind, even more so than, say, a La Marzocco. I'll be curious to see what its temperature stability is...
Nicholas Lundgaard

CGP4

#58: Post by CGP4 »

woodchuck wrote:John, it's not much. I believe the water is just what's pooled in the group and what ever modest amount of pressure is in the group because of the warmer water prior to the vibe kicking in.

Cheers

Ian

From my own informal experiments, it seems that the volume of water hitting the puck is the same whether 2 or 4 seconds of pre-infusion is selected. From the picture, the lack of greater saturation with the longer time suggests there's little or no pressure. For that reason, and because I couldn't taste a difference between 2 and 4, I've set my Mini to 2 seconds of preinfusion and have been very happy.

Ken Fox

#59: Post by Ken Fox »

gscace wrote:I'm guessing that a plumbed-in supermini actually saturates the puck in a 4-second pre-infusion due to its rotary pump and associated water mains pressure. The photos of the 4-sec "pre-infusion" from the vibe pump-equipped mini don't speak well for that particular implementation. From those photos there is no effective pre-infusion for the majority of the coffee cake.

-Greg
Hi Greg,

Adding some sort of "pre-infusion" program to a vibe pump is about as useful as tits on a bull. With their gradual pressure ramp up, vibe pumps give you "pre-infusion" for free, without the need to do anything. Further slowing down the native pressure ramp up on a vibe machine may do more harm that good.

ken
What, me worry?

Alfred E. Neuman, 1955

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#60: Post by JohnB. »

gscace wrote:I'm guessing that a plumbed-in supermini actually saturates the puck in a 4-second pre-infusion due to its rotary pump and associated water mains pressure. The photos of the 4-sec "pre-infusion" from the vibe pump-equipped mini don't speak well for that particular implementation. From those photos there is no effective pre-infusion for the majority of the coffee cake.

-Greg

CC offers these pre infusion chambers for the vibe pump Vivaldis: http://www.chriscoffee.com/products/hom ... ionchamber The owners that have tried them seem pretty happy with the results.
LMWDP 267