Buyer's Guide to the Vibiemme Domobar Super - Page 3

Behind the scenes of the site's projects and equipment reviews.
cannonfodder (original poster)
Team HB

#21: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

Another pointer when it comes to steaming on the Super. While you want to wait until the heater has turned off before pulling a shot, when steaming start at the top of the cycle but just before the heater turns off. I find I get higher pressure steam and the boiler holds slightly higher pressure versus starting steaming after the heater turns off.

A few steam times, time needed to heat water from 40F to 160F boiler at 1.1bar;

8oz----28 seconds

10oz ---33 seconds

12oz---45 seconds

All times are an average based on 3 sessions each using a Fluke 54II and type K thermocouple.
Dave Stephens

cafeIKE

#22: Post by cafeIKE »

cannonfodder wrote:The wand has a small rubber grip point for moving while hot. Just don't miss, or you will be reminded when you sizzle a couple fingers.
The grip shifts around as you move the wand.
Stop it shifting with a drop of cyanoacrylate { Super / Krazy Glue } under each end when the wand is cool :roll:

Team HB

#23: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

I was getting some rattling from my Domobar Super. The cup warmer was vibrating a little. I only have one cup and the second portafilter sitting on top of the warmer so there was not much holding it down. So I broke out the handyman's second best friend, electrical tape. I put a strip of black PVC electrical tape down the front and back of the cup warmer. That dampened the vibration from the vibratory pump and quieted it down nicely

Another little tip that is not in the manual, the drip tray cover does have a front and back. The back has a small notch cut in it. It will fit on the machine either way, but it fits better when it is on the correct way.

Dave Stephens

Team HB

#24: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

When doing a review, or purchasing a new machine, I like to do a little history research on the company. Try as I may, I just could not find much information on the origin of the company and its history. All I could find were little snippets and tidbits of information. So one email led to another which turned into half a dozen, next thing I knew I have a history lesson from the president of VBM in my inbox thanks to Stefano Cremonesi. This is reprinted just as it was received with the permission of Cristiano Osnato, president and owner of VBM...
Our Heritage: The origin of Vibiemme is intimately connected to FAEMA: the founder of both companies being one Mr.Carlo Ernesto Valente.

Carlo Valente opened a laboratory in Milan in 1945 to produce espresso coffee machines called FAEMA. The 50's saw FAEMA growing constantly and contributing significantly to developing espresso machine technology.

The turning point came in 1961 when the company introduced to the Italian market the E61 model. The principle of the E61 head (water charge-infusion-discharge) is still used today on the vast majority of machines. It user friendly with excellent heat characteristics resulting in superb quality coffee.

It would be fair to say that right up until the mid 70's FAEMA was considered by all to make the very best machines, producing the very best quality espresso. By this time FAEMA had became very diversified and found itself in financial difficulty. Many strikes, a common occurrence in Italy at this time, affected production, and in 1976 FAEMA SPA was declared insolvent. Earnsto was forced to hand the company over to the state.

Mr. Valente then created a new company from scratch: Vibiemme, pronounced like the letters v.b.m ( the V stands for Valente , the B for Biancolini, and the M for Meroni.) These three men had been FAEMA's top management prior to state ownership. Italy's most respected espresso machine experts were concentrated into a small company focused solely on espresso machines.

Mr. Valente passed away in 1985 and ownership passed over to his son Fabio and to the Nuova Faema company. In the intervening years Vibiemme pioneered many new innovations and was highly respected in the Italian market.

Mr Valente on the right with the President of Italy

Innovations

1. The first electronic machine (timer).

2. The first patent infusion system on the automatic group (1978).

3. Invented and patented the fresh water system for tea and long blacks using a third heat exchanger so that water is 3-4 degrees C less than the boiled water.

4. The first company to put the motor and pump inside the machine.

5. The Domobar, developed in 1983 (Domus for home, Bar for cafe) is the first machine for the home market with commercial performance and is still the leader in the field.

Vibiemme is currently run by Christiano Orsanto, the son of Pietro Orsanto who had become a major shareholder during the late 80's and early 90's. Pietro had kept the focus of the company on quality and innovation. Christiano is also a firm believer in these features.
Dave Stephens

bdbayer

#25: Post by bdbayer »

The steam tip is larger than most and will NOT fit other wand tips.
On the day the above was reported my new Expobar Single Hole Tip from WLL arrived, I was bummed to read that because I really thought I could do a better job with a single hole tip. I decided to try it anyway and found that it did fit using the white washer provided with the old tip.

Results are better but still not to cannonfodders level yet.

Barry B

Team HB

#26: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

History of the Domobar
DOMOBAR SUPER SHORT STORY

Both models Domobar and Domobar Super were born between the end of the 70s and first of the 80s, while testing the E61 group on a machine conceived for domestic use only.

This first attempt gave its results approx. at the end of the 80's when the sales of the Domobar model began to increase; anyway the Domobar Super model is at that moment still "unlucky", considered too much binding for family use.

At the beginning of the 90's other companies try the same path (such as Isomac and ECM); they also understand that outside appearance is important (even more important) than technical features and in this period Vibiemme (focused on the sale of commercial machines) leaves the way to the above mentioned companies and to other new brands.

Anyway, between the year 2000 - 2001 the market conditions change, the end-user becomes more informed and demanding (thanks also to the internet forums) and a new class of consumer demands more performing machines.

Thanks to some of our importers we made a re-styling of the Domobar Super model taking care of raw materials quality and renewing the product both from the technical and from the aesthetical point of view, so obtaining a performing, reliable and aesthetically new machine.

1) Main changes in safety terms:

- 2-positions switch (easy and intuitive)
- new safety valves
- 3rd tension light
- re-design of the by pass: trebled in its sizes and with new gaskets
- new wiring following UL laws
- safety rele in the boiler

2)aesthetical / technical changes:
- use of the double manometer
- use of steel feet
- introducing of the semiautomatic and electronic versions
- new refinishing on the drip tray and cups warmer
- new handles on the cups warmer
- 4 liters tank

3)ALREADY EXISTING TECHNICAL FEATURES :
- 1800 watts element or 1600 (american market)
- 2,7 litres boiler
- steam / water taps section doubled in comparison to ECM and Isomac brands
- Vibiemme Group produced on our own project and die (other brands' groups are standard)

This allowed us to have a really superior product from the technical side and really reliable: the machines coming back under guarantee are less than 3%
Dave Stephens

stefano65
Sponsor

#27: Post by stefano65 »

Just to clarify couple of things
the sticker on the domobar pictured it has a misprint on the amperage, should read 14,5 not 17,5 ( which is for the 220v version) how ever following the electric country codes you will still need a 20amp receptacle
also about the cup warming tray vibrating normally you can take care of that also loosening the side screws of the panels and re-screw them pushing in on the casing
Stefano Cremonesi
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repairs & sales from Oregon.

bdbayer

#28: Post by bdbayer »

stefano65 wrote: you will still need a 20amp receptacle
Mine is on a standard 15 amp circuit. Is this why the pressure drops when the heater kicks on. I have been considering wiring a 20 amp dedicated circuit to see if it would help that small issue.

Barry B

Team HB

#29: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) replying to bdbayer »

The pressure drop when the heating element engages is normal for vibratory pump home machines. That is a side effect of being designed for 220 and then retrofitted to 110v. Every vibe machine I have used does the same thing and it should be considered normal. There is nothing wrong with the machine. At 15 amps you are pushing the limit of the circuit and it could be exaggerating the effect. I have a couple of dedicated 20 amp circuits on my test bench and have the same issue. The fix is usually heavier gauge wiring. A beefier power cord may reduce or eliminate the issue. Stay tuned, lots of things in the works right now.

I wait until the heater has hit the end of the cycle, or is almost at the end before I start my shot. I can usually get through the shot before the heater kicks on.
Dave Stephens

jesawdy

#30: Post by jesawdy »

cannonfodder wrote:I wait until he heater has hit the end of the cycle, or is almost at the end before I start my shot. I can usually get through the shot before the heater kicks on.
For you Domobar Super owners/users.... to avoid the pressure drop if the heating element kicks in while pulling a shot, could you not just flick the switch over to the (I) - Fill position, and then pull the shot? I know it's an extra step, but it ought to work, and it's cheap and easy :D .
Jeff Sawdy