Bezzera Strega - Second Look - Page 5

Behind the scenes of the site's projects and equipment reviews.
michaelbenis

#41: Post by michaelbenis »

orphanespresso wrote:For me, to see Jim staggering around after tasting that Geisha shot was a real classic. We usually will comment that this or that was a "good cup" but to actually see him go weak in the knees makes me really want to have one of these machines, and Jim's special recipe also!
That was one of the high points for me, too - if anyone ever asks why we get so carried away about "just" coffee, Jim's expression and almost loss for words there have to be the most eloquent answer!

Great reviews and outstanding use of the video format to get the nuances of design and use across.

It certainly looks like a very interesting machine, though I have to admit I would not be happy to have the sound of a vibe pump in my house again. Hearing it reminded me just how much I like the silent aspects of the lever....

Still, I might just be able to put up with it if Jim's expression is anything to go by :-)
LMWDP No. 237

espressotime

#42: Post by espressotime »

I showed that clip of jim staggering to my wife and she yelled "Oh my god,there's more of you...I thought you were the only one". :mrgreen:

another_jim
Team HB

#43: Post by another_jim »

The "profiling" shots that work best for me have a real peculiarity:
-------------------------------------------------
TIME.SEC  PRESS.BAR  FLOW.DESCRIPTION
00 - 10    0 - 10    dwell
10 - 12   10 - 10    black ooze
12 - 14   10 -  2?   molten chocolate   
14 - 20    2? - 6    molten chocolate held steady
20 - end   6 -  3    blonding, but held steady
Notice what is happening between 12 and 14 seconds -- I disengage the pump, but hold the lever just above the detente, so there is no spring pressure at all. The trapped air alone is doing the work for a few seconds. I assume this means the pressure drops like I show in the second column (with the ?); but I'm not sure. My goal is to keep the flow steady and stop it from gathering steam. This pressure drop, followed by a rise, is not something lever people or pump profiling people normally do (as far as I know); but it does seem to work to produce brews that are sweet but clear.

I have no idea if a conventional lever group can be coaxed into doing this.

The other key is grind and dose. I found that the CMA/Ulka combo has a huge amount of punch. Fill a double with 14 gram and set the grinder so the pump ramps to full 9-10 bar pressure before anything flows, and the grind is in the Turkish zone, with no perceptible granularity at all. To use an ordinary fine grained espresso grind, you need to overdose the baskets. Conventional doubles work best at around 18 to 19 grams, Faema singles at around 10 to 11 grams. You can use lower weights or coarser grinds if you don't ramp up to 9 bar, but not that much -- even without the motor, the CMA group pushes the water through the puck much more efficiently than any pump group.

This has an upshot: If you use conventional Italian 7/14 doses, you are going to extract every last caramel molecule out of the coffee and get something really sweet and thick. But since the water temperature drops over the course of the shot, the ultra-bitter overextracted taste doesn't happen. So doing it like this is going to give you ultra-syrupy shots. For the "acid head godshot" like the Geisha, you need to grind coarse and overdose.
Jim Schulman

TrlstanC

#44: Post by TrlstanC »

there is no spring pressure at all. The trapped air alone is doing the work for a few seconds
That's really interesting, I don't know if Bezzera intended it or not, but it seems like the machine has three pressure options: pump, spring, or compressed air. And it's possible to use just the compressed air by holding the lever down so that there's no pump and no spring yet. During the other stages of the shot you can use one or two of the three instead.

It seems like a somewhat complicated pressure profile, although it does seem to flow naturally from one stage to the next. And I'd assume that since the pressure is always between 2-10 bars that it would be possible to replicate this with a Slayer/Hydra. But I wonder if it would be possible to plumb in a compressed air chamber in to a standard pump machine to replicate part of this effect?

another_jim
Team HB

#45: Post by another_jim »

The experience of trying to get consistent flow in the basket study I was doing at the same time as this review has left me with the impression that the flow early in the shot is unstable, in particular, the transition from dwell to full flow can change by a few seconds shot to shot even if you keep the dose and grind the same.

Ordinarily this is no big deal, you just cut the shot when it blonds, and the volumes will be roughly the same. Here I'm doing something different -- actually controlling flow, without worrying if the pressure is going up or down. It just happens that if I just focus on flow rate, it becomes natural to decrease the shot pressure at the 12 second mark and then pick it up again.

I had a chance to play with an LM Strada with the pressure profiler, and wasn't able to replicate these style shots. Actually, I wasn't able to do much of anything.

It has a neat setup where you profile manually, then set it to auto, where it will repeat your manual profile for the next shots. But there is one buggy thing about it -- the paddle wheel on the group operates as the setpoint on a PID controller set for PD control. The operator feel is that changes in the paddle accelerate pressure rises and drops rather than setting a straight pressure, so the whole thing feels kind of seasick and unstable, with the pressure rising and falling like the water against a pier.

I'm sure they'll figure it out and tweak it for better ergonomics, but for now, it's so hard to use that I failed miserably.
Jim Schulman

shadowfax

#46: Post by shadowfax »

Jim, I had similar difficulties in playing with a Strada EP at the SCAA show in Houston: the lag between set value (which isn't shown on the display) and actual pressure (which is) made it difficult to really "wing" shots for a first timer. I am not sure if that would get easier with experience. Surely at least a little bit, but who knows. Hopefully they can make it a little more intuitive, though.

As far as the Strega, what kind of dose and brew ratio are you using for shots with this pressure profile?
Nicholas Lundgaard

tekomino

#47: Post by tekomino »

another_jim wrote: This pressure drop, followed by a rise, is not something lever people or pump profiling people normally do (as far as I know); but it does seem to work to produce brews that are sweet but clear.
It is actually very common on Cremina and I think many spring levers, i.e. Fellini move will do this.

shadowfax

#48: Post by shadowfax »

Has anyone ever logged the 'true; pressure profile of the the Fellini move? It seems like might be quite a lot different from the Strega's probable pressure profile with the vibe pump. To wit, I think holding the lever steady in one position drops the pressure very low, but not even to 0 bar. The Fellini move always seemed like it drew at least a little bit of negative pressure above the puck. If that's the case, it would be a mistake to think of it as the same as what the Strega is doing as above.
Nicholas Lundgaard

another_jim
Team HB

#49: Post by another_jim »

shadowfax wrote: As far as the Strega, what kind of dose and brew ratio are you using for shots with this pressure profile?
For the Strega, to use the regular espresso grind range, you have to overdose. But here comes the mystery, I'm running roughly 0.8 to 1.0 brew ratios, and they taste no more concentrated than the 0.6 to 0.8 you would get with the regular dose. There is a lot of water sloshing around in the group, and a lot of extra runoff after the cup gets pulled.

For the Esmeralda and all really light, acidic coffees, I use a grind that would require a down dose to 12 to 12.5 grams on a regular machine.

Glad I wasn't the only klutz on the profiling Strada. It came as a shock, since the regular one is really intuitive.
Jim Schulman

shadowfax

#50: Post by shadowfax »

another_jim wrote:For the Strega, to use the regular espresso grind range, you have to overdose. But here comes the mystery, I'm running roughly 0.8 to 1.0 brew ratios, and they taste no more concentrated than the 0.6 to 0.8 you would get with the regular dose.
That's good to know. I had been trying to copy your profile loosely on my profiling GS3 with no luck, but I was staying pretty tight in the 0.6-0.7 range. I'll tighten the grind down and give it another go when I have a chance.
Nicholas Lundgaard