Sirai 20 Amp Pressurestat

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
bill
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by bill »

I replaced the 30 Amp Sirai pressurestat on my Gaggia with a new 20 Amp model. The 1500 watt heater didn't require the larger device, so I thought I'd save a few bucks. Unfortunately, I can't get this thing to operate. After several attempts to adjust it to no avail I gave up and re-installed the old one. I know these are usually very reliable pressurestats, but comparing it to the old one I think the construction of the new one is much less robust. Has anyone else had experience with a 20 Amp Sirai, either good or bad?
Bill
LMWDP #43

I wasn't born in Texas, but got here as fast as I could!

Paul_Pratt

#2: Post by Paul_Pratt »

Hi Bill. I use these all the time and they are great. I can't remember them being much different than the larger size. Is it working at all? have you tested with a meter?

Paul

Advertisement
Markant

#3: Post by Markant »

Paul_Pratt wrote:Hi Bill. I use these all the time and they are great. I can't remember them being much different than the larger size. Is it working at all? have you tested with a meter?
In your experience Paul, how often do they have to be exchanged? You think there is no difference in 'life expectancy ' between the two?

In my L1 (series 1) I have just exchanged the 20 for a 30 Amp Sirai. After 4,5 years the contacts started to stick together and unfortunately there is no service kit available. I believe from L1 series 2, Londinium only use 30 Amp in their machines because: 'more robust; better adjustment system; less loud'. So they should live longer i think.... well, we'll see.

bill (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by bill (original poster) »

Paul_Pratt wrote:Hi Bill. I use these all the time and they are great. I can't remember them being much different than the larger size. Is it working at all? have you tested with a meter?

Paul
Hi Paul, thanks for responding so quickly. It's been a long time, but you helped me when I was restoring a Conti Prestina about 10 years ago. No, I didn't test with a meter. I had the cover off so I could watch the contacts move, or not move in this case!
I just took the 20Amp Sirai apart and I don't think they're nearly as robust as the 30 Amp device. There's no service kit available because they can't be serviced. The adjustment mechanism is pretty crude and they use a tiny spring to provide tension. It appears to me that Sirai has cheapened their product. If they do this to the 30 Amp one they'll probably be out of business before long!
Bill
LMWDP #43

I wasn't born in Texas, but got here as fast as I could!