Restoring Vesuviana Caffetieres

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
drgary
Team HB

#1: Post by drgary »

In this thread I will show the cleanup, restoration and elegantly simple function of a 1948 one cup Vesuviana. It is their very first version of a one cup caffetiere and a second version overall. (Added 3/16/17: The thread evolves to show other Vesuvianas.)

Here's what I'm starting with.

This gives you an idea of the size. It's tiny!

More details will follow when I begin cleanup.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

yakster
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by yakster »

I will follow with interest. I found two larger versions at a thrift store, sadly with only one pitcher, and I was thinking of cleaning one of them up and trying it out just before you found yours. I had originally thought of turning one of them into a lamp when I found them back in 2011.

The craziest %#*$ing thing I've seen all day...
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

doubleOsoul

#3: Post by doubleOsoul »

I'm following too. I have a Salton and Vesuviana that started my collection 20 plus years ago. I have a soft spot for the old stove tops.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by yakster »

Here's a quick pick of one of my Vesuvianas, they're both the same size but the one with the pitcher is packed away. I went back to that thrift store just to make sure that it hadn't gotten separated, but no luck. The basket is about 3" across at the top. I was out here roasting up some coffee when I read this message.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#5: Post by drgary (original poster) »

Very nice! This steel cup may pair with it. It measures about 3 5/8 in across the top rim, and the bottom is a smaller circle.

Gary
LMWDP#308

crazy4espresso

#6: Post by crazy4espresso »

Recently rediscovered the moka pot method of brewing coffee when my parent's superautomatic broke down, so it's with interest that I'll be following this thread. I might have to look around some local thrift shops as well for these beauties. I like the detail of the cup handle. Is that something that went away over time?
"I would rather suffer with coffee than be senseless." — Napoleon Bonaparte
LMWDP #427

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#7: Post by drgary (original poster) »

crazy4espresso wrote:I like the detail of the cup handle. Is that something that went away over time?
Yes. That detail alerted me to its probably being unusual.
Gary
LMWDP#308

jpender

#8: Post by jpender »

I'm just curious about the terminology. I thought that caffetiere (or cafetiere or cafetière) referred to a French press / press pot or something of that nature, not a moka pot, which is what this interesting device appears to me to be. Can you explain this to me? Thanks.

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#9: Post by drgary (original poster) »

Just using a term employed by Lucio del Piccolo (aka LVX on Home-Barista) for various coffee makers. Is this a moka pot? Well, kind of, but I think of it more generically as a brewing device. It works using principles of an Atomic coffee maker, where water heated in the boiler enters a pipe to the brew head after steam builds boiler pressure. So, you're not brewing with steam but with water under pressure that enters the pipe through a hole. Like the Atomic machines there's a hole at the top of the pipe, still in the boiler, so steam escapes and the flow is liquid water. Moka pots don't have that clever feature that helps prevent overheating.
Gary
LMWDP#308

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#10: Post by drgary (original poster) »

Clean-up First

Last night and this morning I cleaned up my Lilliputian Vesuviana. The ingredient used to greatest abundance was a bucket of elbow grease to get into all of those tiny nooks. Following Lucio's guidelines I started with rubbing alcohol on cotton swabs to remove the yellow kitchen grease on the surface of the metal and Bakelite. Then I used metal polish, first Simichrome, then to preserve that I switched to Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish. I used ultra fine 0000 steel wool, which doesn't scratch the aluminum or Bakelite, and I wore throwaway nitrile gloves. The tarnish marks needed lots of rubbing to disappear. Here's where I started.

This is the cup before cleaning.

Here you can see crud on the Bakelite cap. This was quickly removed with 0000 steel wool without any added polish.

Here's the Bakelite handle after alcohol cleaning but before steel wool polishing. It has a small crack but is functional, so I'll leave it as is as a sign of age rather than apply filler.

In Lucio's restoration somehow he manages to remove the weighted overpressure valve from the cap. I couldn't see how to do that. My cap ring is held on sturdily with studs and a Bakelite tab. The rod at the end of the cap is distorted to keep it from falling out, so I just left it in place and rotated the cap to clean it as best I could using metal polish and steel wool. I removed caked dirt and used a pick on the remnants of the old, white rubber gasket and then washed everything with many passes of soap and water until no smell remained from the metal polish solvent.

I heeded Lucio's warning to not let curiosity drive me to try and remove the brass screws. One sits at the top, probably to seal a casting hole. The other is at the front of the group, where the pipe may have been inserted.

Links to the Vesuviana's History

For reference purposes, here's his write-up of this rare gem. Here is Lucio's post on the first version of the Vesuviana, complete with a photo. The Vesuviana in this thread has the same features as the second version, but it's the first Vesuviana caffetiere for brewing a single cup.

Lucio's post linked me to an important one by another HB member, pootoogoo (Sebastien), where he identifies the inventor of the Vesuviana as Cesare Bialetti. In that well-documented thread, the Vesuviana was the original design using the method employed by Atomic coffee makers. The Vesuviana patent predates the patent of the Robbiati coffee maker by seven months. According to Sebastien, the name, "Vesuviana," may have come from the risk of explosions when Cesare Bialetti was experimenting with the first aluminum prototypes in his kitchen during World War II.
Gary
LMWDP#308