Ok, the saga of the "sisters" begins. These two machines were found on flea-bay and were described as most likely not a complete working machine between the two of them. I said to myself - "This will make for good winter work :>)" -They look pretty good They look pretty complete............................ Even though if you know your year models you'll noticethat the boiler on the left goes with the face plate on the right, foreshadowing on what I found and ......didn't find.
One is a 1982 and the other is a 1985. Here they are after the autopsy
The older copper boiler had a small leak near where the group bolts on , so a trip to the brazing shop was needed after asking for some advice here on the forum( thanks to those who chimed in!)
And the groups must have undergone some really brutal pulls for the last 20 years. I have never seen such wear!! The slot that the bushing travels in is almost 2mm bigger in the center than when new-ish. Also the lever on one almost looks as if it had been intentionally "slotted" I am not sure what the story is.
The Good news is that when asked, the talented fellow I found for the boiler job did do some artistic torch work on the side, so he was up for my next "theoretical request". Could he fill in the worn slots with marine grade brass to get them back to as close to new as possible? Yes was his answer - for about $30 each!!!!!!!! Yahooo- I think - not done yet..
He jumped at the creative challenge- The aftermath of which has me out looking for someone to re-chrome the groups afterwards. So look for a before and after shot in the future.
As an aside, I scoured the Olympia website for what was available from them. I had posted a want list here and I really didn't think there was much out there in the way of spare parts.
Between the two machines I had missing:
-A PF handle-
-A top body piece that accepts the round boiler neck-dish ( thingy!~)
-The switch plate escutcheon(1982) power switch and status light
-Sight glass and metal seal retainer washers ( new seals though!!)
-One group bolt
-A boiler neck nut ( I actually wasn't missing one, someone had screwed it down all the way with no body pieces in place. So it came off the threads and was jingling loose on the neck. The previous owners looked as if they had been trying to get it off for quite a while. It was beat up badly, and I couldn't get it re-started either. I had to use a Dremel tool to cut an angled slot so I could expand it and finally get it off!!
So.............. I ordered from Olympia a new lever fork, element, lever bushings, seals, site glass, top body panel, site glass washers and a new boiler neck nut ( say that fast!!) They don't sell or stock group heads for the older model and no switches or escutcheons either, dag nabbit!
Return with me now to the repair list-
Needing attention was:
A blown element( also thank you to those that helped me diagnose that bugger!!)
2 wobbled out groups ( good cylinders and good pistons all with new seals!!)
A "slotted" worn out lever fork
A leaky boiler ( with badly deteriorated asbestos coating- I actually had a neighbor who is in the abatement world and he disposed of the refuse!!)
Some scratched and nicked up boiler surrounds ( body) .
Here they are after removing badges and straightening the torqued bodies.
In addition to my good fortune finding resources, I stumbled upon a powder coat shop near my home that is run by a great guy. I can get my choice of 55 very cool colors!! And get both body pieces done for $50 total- SCORE!!
As a parting shot- Please note the delicate knurled aluminum PF handle that adorned one of the PF's!! It took about 30 minutes, penetrating oil, a cheater bar and a small prayer not to twist the end off the PF to get that "electrolysis-welded" beast to let go !!
Now if the RECHROME Gods will smile on me...... More as we progress.......