Profitec Pro 700 - Blowing Circuit

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
2bitterbeans

#1: Post by 2bitterbeans »

Hi,

I have had a Profitec Pro 700 for a couple of years now and just recently it has started to pop the fuse on the GFCI plug in my kitchen. It has happened just while sitting idle, and after brewing as soon as I start steaming. The machine is stock, I have not tinkered with anything except changing the portafilter and screen. I can reset the GFCI and continue and still make my latte. I have moved it to another plug and had the same outcome. About half the time I try to use it it will blow the circuit. I am using an iHome iSP5 plug to turn it on in the morning so it heats up and is ready for me when I get downstairs. It could possibly be the iHome, though that seems less likely. I will take it the iHome when I make my next coffee to see if that has any impact. In the mean time any idea on what is causing it? Like a lot of us I purchased from an online vendor and packaging it up and shipping it across Canada is neither convenient nor inexpensive.

RockyIII
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by RockyIII »

A few thoughts:

That machine is rated at 1400 watts for the heating element plus 120 watts for the pump. Depending on the voltage, you are up around 13 or 14 amps, so if you have anything else running on a 15 amp circuit you could easily exceed the load limit.

It could be an internal short, but it seems a bit odd that it would be intermittent.

I agree it is a good idea to take the iHome iSP5 out of the circuit to see if that solves the problem.

When you try a different outlet, is it on the same GFCI circuit? If so, you might try a different circuit altogether. I've had GFCI receptacles get old and weak, start popping off intermittently, and need replacing.

Rocky

Jayhov

#3: Post by Jayhov »

Gfci will fail over time. I see it all the time. Sometimes if the ground wire is close to the neutral (white). It will trip the circuit. Maybe something metal inside the machine is making contact with the neutral. You can try replacing the gfci first and see if that solves it.

Ps I'm a electrician