Please recommend a place to do Chrome Plating

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
UFGators

#1: Post by UFGators »

I would really appreciate any input that anyone has. I have a la peppina and I want to at least Re plate the outside of it. I've called about four or five shops and no one can help so far.

rand

#2: Post by rand »

When you say "refinish" does that mean completely replate it or are you simply looking to buff out some swirl marks? If the chrome itself is chipped, you will need to get it completely replated which costs more money then simply buffing out some swirls. You can simply google "chrome plating orlando" and may results will pop up. If you want to simply buff out some swirl marks in the chrome, the auto industry has you covered. There's a lot of product offerings available online or in auto parts stores or even walmart that will allow you to polish that chrome right up.

Hope this helps!
Product development & Training. Car enthusiast. Roasting every now and then.

UFGators (original poster)

#3: Post by UFGators (original poster) replying to rand »

Thanks for the help. I want to chrome plate it. I have had no luck, no one wants to touch it so far.

rand

#4: Post by rand replying to UFGators »

Why not? Price? I cant think of any reason why a business whose job it is to chrome plate things wouldn't want to chrome plate a thing. I mean, provided you are just dropping off panels to them, I don't see any reason for them to not want to. Now, if you bring the whole machine to them and not just panels already disassembled, I could see why they wouldn't want to.
Product development & Training. Car enthusiast. Roasting every now and then.

ira
Team HB

#5: Post by ira »

I'd see if there are any custom car shows in the area, Folks with 50's rides, need high quality chrome to restore their cars.

Ira

OldNuc

#6: Post by OldNuc »

Check with the local chopper shop.

cuppajoe

#7: Post by cuppajoe »

What he may be running into is that the Peppina group assembly is cast aluminum, which seems to require a zink plate before the chrome.
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

UFGators (original poster)

#8: Post by UFGators (original poster) »

cuppajoe wrote:What he may be running into is that the Peppina group assembly is cast aluminum, which seems to require a zinc plate before the chrome.

You are right David, most people won't touch it! The pot metal has a low melting point and also the acids/chemicals they need to prep the surface for plating will basic eat it all up. I did find someone up north that specializes in Pot Metal. He is able to chrome the outside but can't do anything for inside. I can live with that.

cuppajoe

#9: Post by cuppajoe »

Very good, keep us posted.
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits