Pasquini Livia 90 repair underway

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
SJM

#1: Post by SJM »

My Livia 90 is working just fine thank you.
This is yet another that I am planning on keeping me in Livias or at least in Livia parts for the duration.

Currently it's status is NADA.
Actually it is now NADA Minus since I have started taking it apart.

When plugged in (with water in the reservoir) the response was (right) NADA.
So, I am starting from scratch.
But it's been a long time since I did a serious machine teardown and I need advice.

Where should I start? I am guessing I should take all of the frame portions off so that I can deal with the parts?

hankbates

#2: Post by hankbates »

The first thing I would check would be the 3 terminals (including ground) where the main power cord connects to the machine.
If needed you can follow the wires which go from there to the relay, and other ground connections.
Kind of like starting with the battery when your car is completely dead.

You have it torn down enough to get at virtually all the wiring.
Some people rescue dogs and cats, I like to rescue Livias…

SJM (original poster)

#3: Post by SJM (original poster) »

Thanks. A new multi meter should be today's mail.
Meanwhile I pulled the pump, attached leads to it and it failed to deliver, so I have dismantled it and the parts are soaking. It would be a satisfying (if unrealistic) result of the pump works when I reassemble it :(

SJM (original poster)

#4: Post by SJM (original poster) »

The pump is working a charm. Thanks. On to the next.

The group is removed and since I took this picture I have soaked in Cafiza overnight so it looks better, but that screen -holding screw still will not budge. I've drenched it in BreakFree a few times. I've hammered on it. What do I try next???

cafe102

#5: Post by cafe102 »

I would sacrifice the screen. Bend it up around the screw and get a good bite on screw with a pair of vice grips. Time for a new screen anyway.

erics
Supporter ★

#6: Post by erics »

What do I try next???
You are trying to turn the screw counter-clockwise? (I had to ask) :)

Make sure the screwdriver you use fits the screw recess nice and snug. Use some vise-grips on the screwdriver for extra leverage close to the screw.

There does exist what are called impact screwdrivers: https://jet.com/product/detail/627b7915 ... 270de45abc

edit: I see that my link for impact screwdrivers is a little messed up but if you do a "google search" on that term, it will return nice results.

Link fixed by moderator
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

SJM (original poster)

#7: Post by SJM (original poster) »

Thanks, Eric, for checking, and yes, I do have the 'lefty loosey' part going right.
However, by the time I read your post I was already into Bill's sacrifice mode.

Pasquini would not be pleased.
So far this mess of screen all rotates counter-clockwise just fine....well, everything but the screw that is.

More later when my reserve of patience and goodwill is back on duty :-))))

puffinjk

#8: Post by puffinjk »

Most everyone who has owned a livia has had a wrestling match with that slot screw, heating the screw will help, When you do get it out,replace with a flathead allen screw. Jim

SJM (original poster)

#9: Post by SJM (original poster) replying to puffinjk »

Oh, good point, and it reminds me that I should replace that same screw now on my working Livia....Thanks for that.

puffinjk

#10: Post by puffinjk »

That allen screw in ss is not easy to find,but worth the effort. Jim :D