Nuova Simonelli Appia refurbishment

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
skydragondave

#1: Post by skydragondave »

Hi all,
For your interest, here's some photos of my current project. I paid more for it initially than any other machine its size to date, but given its condition I think it was well worth it. 2007 model, with full volumetric dosing and autosteam feature. Seized water pump and scaled boiler, but overall pretty good condition.

Polishing the boiler isn't functionally necessary, but looks so much more clean and sanitary I don't regret doing it. If anyone has any suggestions on a surface treatment that will prevent tarnishing, it would be greatly appreciated. Cheers
LMWDP #433

skydragondave (original poster)

#2: Post by skydragondave (original poster) »

I should also note that the autosteam kit consists of two sets of boiler pipes that allow the steam wand and hot water tap positions to be reversed, and a three-way solenoid valve for the autosteam. The thermometer plugs into a port on the control card. To replace with conventional steaming, you would need the standard boiler pipes, a conventional wand, and a two-way solenoid valve.
LMWDP #433

#3: Post by skydragondave (original poster) »

Final batch of repair parts is in. Today's progress:

For some reason both front legs were rusted solid into the leg extensions. Using heat I was able to remove one of them, but the other snapped off flush with the extension. So I took it to a machine shop up the street to get the bolt extracted. He did it in one day and charged me $10. I hate drilling holes, so I was more than happy to have him do it for that price. The new front legs went back in with silver grade antiseize.

All that's left to do now is put it through its paces and calibrate everything and check for leaks, then tie all wires back and close-up.
LMWDP #433

2StrokeBloke

#4: Post by 2StrokeBloke »

Nice work!
I've got one without the auto steam.
Really like the machine, but when you put a Cremina beside it you realize just how big your appetite has gotten for espresso machines. Its BIG.
I have no complaints though.

#5: Post by skydragondave (original poster) »

Thanks Russ,
Some volumetric woes are almost sorted, and with my final parts order I was able to procure an update kit for the drip tray. Originally the tray was held in place with flimsy tabs cast into the plastic bottom housing. Of course, these break off very easily, and mine had none left. Simonelli had plastic corner pieces available for the 2-group and larger machines at one point, but these have been replaced with nifty stainless stamped brackets that screw-in to the machine frame with no modifications required. They work outstandingly well and list at about $60, though I paid less.

Chris is right, these machines will not run out of steam. This one will make someone very happy. Perhaps I'll be able to hang onto one for myself someday! Cheers

LMWDP #433

desmodici

#6: Post by desmodici »

I have an Appia (volumetric w/out the Auto Steam). Great machines, and yes, they have the Forever Steam feature :)