La Marzocco GS/3: Brew temperature offset testing

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Cristiano

#1: Post by Cristiano »

Hi everyone, I am doing some tests on my La Marzocco GS / 3 and among them is the temperature in the group / Coffee T. Off set and I am in need of help. With a very simple test (low cost), in an attempt to check the Coffee T. Off set, I would like to know if the temperature that appears in the PID (initial information panel) would have to be the same one found in the water temperature measurement performed through a Type K thermocouple at the exit of the center hole of the disc (without the screen).

What would this test show me as a parameter for the temperature settings of the coffee boiler?

Thanks for the help !!

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#2: Post by Peppersass »

The offset varies from machine to machine, but usually temperature at the group is 2-6 degrees lower than the set boiler temperature. My offset is -4F.

Note that the GS/3 adds the offset to the measured boiler temperature for the displayed temperature. So, if your offset is -4F and you set 204F as the target boiler temperature, the display will show 200F. That should be the temperature you measure at the group.

Cristiano (original poster)

#3: Post by Cristiano (original poster) »

Hi Dick, thank you very much for your return. Faced with several readings on the subject here in the Home Barista, I really was hoping to get these parameters before starting the tests. To my surprise, the results were different:
I read the temperature through a Type K thermocouple placed immediately in front of the group water outlet (without the shower screen).
My offset to the coffee boiler was -2.0 C and the temperature shown on the thermocouple was about 2C more than the temperature shown on the panel.
A 1.5 F (positive) boiler offset is shown in the manual, which when converted to Celsius is set to 0.8 C (positive).
Here are the values I found so that the water outlet temperature corresponded to the reading on the panel:

Coffe boiler - 93,0 C
Offset - 1.4 C (positive)
Water Reading - 94.4 C
Panel - 94.4 C

Thanks,

Cristiano Robson.

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#4: Post by Peppersass »

I've read posts from other owners who have positive offsets, but I don't think it's common.

Hard to imagine how water at the probe location in the boiler could be colder than the water exiting the group. I suspect the positive offset may be due to the probe being out of spec. Rather than replace the probe, LM just compensates for the error by using a positive offset.

I see no reason to worry, as the display matches your measured temperature.

That said, just holding a type-K thermocouple under the stream doesn't accurately measure temperature at the puck. First, you need to use a type-T thermocouple with a meter that supports type-T thermocouples. Second, the flow has to be restricted. The Scace Thermocouple uses a type-T thermocouple and restricts the flow to the same rate as the average puck. But it's expensive.

My recollections is that there are some posts here showing how to get a thermcouple inside a basket for more accurate readings.