Fiorenzato Bricoletta - leaking as soon as plumbed in

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
CarlosM

#1: Post by CarlosM »

So I am a REAL newbie on all of this but looking forward to learning. My friend owns a Fiorenzatto Bric which he stopped using 4 years ago. I convinced him to give it to me to play with and potentially buy it from him. After getting the right fittings for plumbing it in, as soon as I did, it started leaking out of the part in which the water comes in (don't know the name, some type of manifold that connects to the pump). I removed the snap ring and I suspect that the o-ring gasket is the culprit. I have no idea where to get this part, I cannot find it on 1st line (or maybe I do not know where to look). Any ideas?

Also, this machine was just sitting there for 4 years, I imagine I need to descale, backflush, and do other things to get it going properly. If anyone can point me to a guide for bringing the machine back to life, I would appreciate it.

cuppajoe

#2: Post by cuppajoe »

Fluid-O-Tech pumps are not meant to be repaired. They will rebuild the pump for a reasonable price. Make sure to reassemble it if you send it in. While the pump is off the motor, check the front bearing for leakage damage. Motor should turn freely with little noise.
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

CarlosM (original poster)

#3: Post by CarlosM (original poster) »

Thank you so much. Where can I send the pump in to be rebuilt? or find a rebuilt one?

Alaroast

#4: Post by Alaroast »

I'm kinda in the same boat as you. I recently bought a used Bric in non-working condition. I found that the pump needed replacing due to lack of sufficient pressure. I bought a new Procon Series 1 pump on Ebay for 60. To me, it was hardly worth sending the old one off for a rebuild when there wasn't much difference in price. Keep in mind that if you buy a new pump, you will need to adjust the pressure once it is installed using a portafilter installed gauge.

Cimbalixxx

#5: Post by Cimbalixxx »

Carlos,

It appears you have a Procon pump. You can by parts or complete rebuilt kits for these pumps from https://edco-distributing.myshopify.com/ Also, be very careful if you choose to purchase a new pump as they may look the same, they are not... Specifically, flow rate and pressure settings (which are adjustable). For most espresso machines you will need a pump with a 25 gallon/hour or 100 Liter/hour rating...you will need to confirm via what the manufacturer specifies. Most Ebay Procon pumps are rated at 100 to 125 gallons per hour! Finally, if you purchase a new pump, make sure it is a "food grade" application pump as it will handle drinking water. If you need help ordering a pump, let me know and I can give you more guidance.

Al

cuppajoe

#6: Post by cuppajoe »

Good to know Procon's are rebuildable.

As said, have to be careful you are buying a properly spec'd pump as they all look pretty much the same. These types are used throughout the food and beverage industry, as well as industrial hydraulics.
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

CarlosM (original poster)

#7: Post by CarlosM (original poster) »

So I decided to send it to JC beverages in Minnesota to be rebuilt. They charge $45 for the rebuild. I paid $13 for shipping. They said they would have it fixed in a day or two after arrival. A new pump would run around $150 so I figure it was worth it to try the rebuild and I wouldnt have to worry about getting the right one.

Like i mentioned before, this machine is not even mine but I'm considering buying it if I can get it going. My friend had it unused for 4 years. While the pump arrives, I'll work on the group head which has a hard portafilter gasket and a really dirty shower screen. I don't know if at the end this project will be worth it.

Alaroast

#8: Post by Alaroast replying to CarlosM »

Good choice for the rebuild. I've called them to discuss my pump before I decided to but a new one and they were very knowledgeable with reasonable prices. Now this thread has me wondering if I should have gone that route too. Cimbalixxx comment about GPH ratings of Ebay pumps has me concerned. I know the pump pressure is adjustable but is that one and the same with volume or are orifices in pump built in to control volume? If I adjust pressure down to 9 bar doesn't that also decrease volume? My pump is rated at 125GPH at 250 PSI. Not trying to hijack your thread Carlos, please let us know how it goes when you get rebuilt pump installed.

Cimbalixxx

#9: Post by Cimbalixxx »

Alaroast,

Your pump is flowing far too high for your application...I am surprised that you did not lockup your motor or cause it to overheat as you try to reach 9 bar at the portafilter...... If you have a 125 gph pump that is over 470 liters/hour! As you increase the head pressure, and try to maintain a high flow, you will put a very big load on the pump. For my 2 group commercial Cimbali, the factory replacement pump requires a 120 liter/hour pump or approximately 35 gallons per hour.

Alaroast

#10: Post by Alaroast replying to Cimbalixxx »

I guess I should have paid more attention to the info that JC Beverage provided when I called them. I know they discussed the details but I figured all Series 1 pump were created equal and that the pressure adjustment screw would compensate for different applications. Any idea what changes on the internals of the pump to change different flow rates. The diagram I saw on these pumps looks fairly straightforward so there must be different size orifices installed that change flow rates. When I first installed this new pump, it did stall out until I dialed the pressure way back.