ECM Giotto stopped heating

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
ikir

#1: Post by ikir »

Hi folks, our beloved ECM Giotto (I am not sure, but think it +20 years old) stopped heating, last week it stopped reaching proper pressure, according to gauge it would stop at 0.5bar, after flushing group head it would start heating and would reach the proper boiler pressure - that had been happening for couple days, after which it just stopped reaching even 0.5bars. There is no obvious symptoms, but I think I can hear 2 clicks when I turn it on.

Appreciate any help!
Kir

schwaggy

#2: Post by schwaggy »

Perhaps start at the heating element?
Replacing ECM Giotto Heating Element

ikir (original poster)

#3: Post by ikir (original poster) »

Thanks! Any way to check for sure that it's heating element? Also is heating element (like this one: http://www.espressotec.com/ecm-rocket-g ... 1200w.html) for Rocket machines compatible with old ECM?
Kir

schwaggy

#4: Post by schwaggy »

You can check the element with an Ohm meter measuring resistance (search the Internet for info).
I have no idea regarding this part. I don't have this machine, I did a quick search for you.

nicholasnumbers

#5: Post by nicholasnumbers »

I'm working on a similar HX machine right now with the same symptom. I don't think it's the heating element because it will turn on after flushing enough.

After tracing a bunch of things, I think the actual gicar box is bad. I have a replacement on hand and will let you know if swapping the box does the trick.

Nick

ikir (original poster)

#6: Post by ikir (original poster) replying to nicholasnumbers »

Thanks Nick! I checked heating element and it's alive, shows ~12ohms. How do you know that gicar box is bad? Any way to check it? I would want to spend $200+ to realize that it is not it...
Kir

nicholasnumbers

#7: Post by nicholasnumbers »

ikir wrote:Thanks Nick! I checked heating element and it's alive, shows ~12ohms. How do you know that gicar box is bad? Any way to check it? I would want to spend $200+ to realize that it is not it...
Hi again, sorry for the delayed response. In my case the culprit was the Gicar box. All signs in the machine pointed to a fault electrical problem.

I was able to diagnose it by testing everything else in the system first in order to isolate the problem. In your machine, before I buy another Gicar box, I'd test the pressurestat to see if it's causing any premature shutoff first. Yours should have 3 pins, and you can test continuity to see if the circuit in the switch is normally open and normally closed. If you have it normally open and it's testing closed, the pressurestat could be the culprit.

If the pstat tests fine, I'd replace the electronics box.

Thanks,

Nick

erics
Supporter ★

#8: Post by erics »

Get your machine's electronics fixed here: https://boytenterprises.com/collections/electronics .
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com