E61 single boiler releases steam while dispensing water through brewgroup.

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Kaffesthlm

#1: Post by Kaffesthlm »

Hello fellow coffee lovers!
I have a problem with my ecm classika II.
Every second time or so when i dispense water through brewhead there is lots of steam and water is way too hot, next time its fine with perfect brew temperature and almost no steam.
When i try to flush steam away it takes at least 30 seconds with lots of splutters and mess.
The machine is from 2011 and i have just bought it second hand. The grouphead is pretty clean and the seals look fine.
Does anybody have any ideas what could be wrong?

I would be ever so grateful if you could help me get my precious espresso back again.

Jimmy Petterson from Sweden

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

Sounds normal for a heat exchanger espresso machine. Have you read HX Love and this ? All HX espresso machines sputter steam/water through the group. Below is a video of the ECM Technika IV Profi:
From the ECM Technika IV Profi Review
Dan Kehn

erics
Supporter ★

#3: Post by erics »

Every second time or so when I dispense water through brewhead there is lots of steam and water is way too hot, next time its fine with perfect brew temperature and almost no steam.
Then, there is something amiss with your temperature control. This machine LIKELY uses a Prodigy temperature controller that could have some sticky contacts.

Post a pic of the machine's internals.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

Kaffesthlm (original poster)

#4: Post by Kaffesthlm (original poster) »

Hello and thanks for rapid answer Dan and Erik.

First I want to say that I've worked on some different machines and I've had a Brasilia mini classic for maybe 2 years. Just to say im not a complete beginner... :D
Dan;
I think this is a single boiler machine.
When I try to dispense water through the brewhead it's behaving normal one time and completely different next time. Thats the strange thing. :)

Eric;
What could I do if it were to be sticky contacts? I was thinking maybe there were scales on the probe... if there is a probe on this machine.
I've taken a couple of pictures, hopefully they will help.
Jimmy

Kaffesthlm (original poster)

#5: Post by Kaffesthlm (original poster) »

h3yn0w

#6: Post by h3yn0w »

I'm not familiar with this particular machine, but have in the past had a single boiler that would flash boil for a few seconds when brewing if you happened to brew right at the top of the heating cycle. This was normal for that machine.

erics
Supporter ★

#7: Post by erics »

What could I do if it were to be sticky contacts? I was thinking maybe there were scales on the probe... if there is a probe on this machine.
If you send me an e-mail (address is below my sig), I will send you a drawing of the Prodigy temperature controller, simply as an FYI. I say "FYI" because this looks like a Prodigy equivalent. You can try going to the website of the controllers manufacturer.

In addition to this, mark or note the current position of the temperature wheel. Turn it down to, say, 70 C and shut the machine down for several hours. Now turn the machine on and see if you still get this flash boiling after a complete 45-60 minute warm-up.

As a very reasonable guess, the temperature probe, like the Prodigy, is a tube filled with an inert gas which expands and exerts force on a diaphragm inside the controller. This opens the spring loaded contacts.

It may be time for that PID you always wanted.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com