Espresso newbie trying to pull better shots - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
spawn_x (original poster)

#11: Post by spawn_x (original poster) »

Than you for the replies. I spend over an hour reading threads on google.

- I am using Trystero coffee from Atwater Village (I am in Los Angeles) and he seems to have very good reputation
- I am using gallon jugs drinking water bought from Sprouts, a local ("organic type") store, but I have not tested it.
- I read about temp surfing with the Classic, but honestly it is sort of over my head, and if I have to do that type of dance, I probably will begin saving for a better machine (lever, interesting)
- I forgot to mention that I did the OPV adjustment and -should- be in the 9-10bar range, but I have not tested it
- I guess I got a little lost in the volume vs weight. I was counting seconds until the 2 ounce shot glass (have not tested true volume yet) was filled up. I can't fit the scale under the glass because of the PF spouts, but I understand now more about the weight and trying to get a 1:2 ratio. I should be able to fit it once I get the naked PF, but for now I began stopping the shot at the 27-30 sec range and weighting it
- I take a sip from the espresso and make a latte with the rest (I don't like wasting coffee). I am doing about 2 drinks a day (4 shots) and I hope I nail this espresso thing because I would like to drink less :D
- Today's shot was 16 grams in (keeping this constant for now), 28 seconds, 42 grams out. Most of it came out of only one spout, so my distribution must be off (or the machine not level?). I will start doing the WDT, and the naked PF will definitely help.
- I will put the refractometer on the wish list

I am stubborn and will not give up until I figure this "Art" out. Thank you for the feedback.

#12: Post by spawn_x (original poster) »

Major progress today, tried to WDT (no needle, very fine screwdriver, will find something better) and stopped shot at 30 seconds regardless of volume

- shot 1
16grams in
36 grams out
30 seconds
The puck is black in the corners and more lighter color in the middle, so I think it is channeling around and not going as much through the middle

shot 2
16 grams in
30 grams out
30 seconds
I tried to do the NSEW with the tamper after the WDT, and put more pressure on the side. It flowed better, hence less output in the same time. Tasted bit better than the previous shot, and way different than the previous 2 ounce 50 gram shots I've been doing

I just bought my Rattleware 30 dollar tamper but it is bit small in the basket. I guess I might measure it out and get a bigger one that will fit tighter, that should

Thanks to all again

trunkz22

#13: Post by trunkz22 »

Keep it up! I'm learning a lot from this thread myself. I have similar issues as well as the same tamp that doesn't fit perfectly.

#14: Post by spawn_x (original poster) »

On my way to work I remembered reading that it is suggested to have the tamp profile match the shower screen. Some people seem to swear by convex (curved) tampers, and I also recall some saying to put a dimple in the middle of the puck after tamp, with the handle end of the tamper. My Gaggia does have a convex shower screen, so maybe having a somewhat matching tamp profile will help. I will try the dimple today and report back, will also post a picture of the puck before and after

sluflyer06

#15: Post by sluflyer06 »

spawn_x wrote:Major progress today, tried to WDT (no needle, very fine screwdriver, will find something better) and stopped shot at 30 seconds regardless of volume

- shot 1
16grams in
36 grams out
30 seconds
The puck is black in the corners and more lighter color in the middle, so I think it is channeling around and not going as much through the middle

shot 2
16 grams in
30 grams out
30 seconds
I tried to do the NSEW with the tamper after the WDT, and put more pressure on the side. It flowed better, hence less output in the same time. Tasted bit better than the previous shot, and way different than the previous 2 ounce 50 gram shots I've been doing

I just bought my Rattleware 30 dollar tamper but it is bit small in the basket. I guess I might measure it out and get a bigger one that will fit tighter, that should

Thanks to all again
Having a tamper that fits as tightly as possible makes a tangible difference in reducing channeling. When I was starting out I used an Espro tamper, eventually had a Reg Barber made to fit my IMS baskets and this pretty much elminated channeling down to maybe 1 in 5 shots at most. Recently switched to VST baskets with a Pergtamp which is made only for the VST baskets and it's now been about 50-60 shots since I've seen channeling.

NolaPaul

#16: Post by NolaPaul »

Every now and then I run into issues with my shots coming out too quick when nothing has changed. Same beans, same grind, same tamp, same dose.

I just decided to grind one click finer on my Macap to see if that knocks out the issue.

JavaBuzz

#17: Post by JavaBuzz »

A Gaggia Classic was my first espresso machine. From what I recall (2-3 years ago last used), for temp surfing, it was typically best to start a shot after the boiler heater had turned off and then turned back on for just a few seconds.

If heater was turned on too long, the temp would get too hot (bitter/burnt/woody flavors). If starting a shot when the heater was off, the temp would drop too much during the shot (sour flavor).

Was very glad not to temp surf when I upgraded. If you get things just right, you can make a really good shot with it, but it can be a bit of work and luck. :)

No pre-infusion can make it a stickler for good tamping skills too.

#18: Post by spawn_x (original poster) »

Today's shot

16g in
30 sec
30 g out
Taste is.. far from Intelligentia

I tried to dimple in the middle, but the puck looked the same on the bottom. I do not currently have an idea of my tamp pressure - I am "aiming" for 30 but do not have a way to check it yet. I will lighten up the overall pressure and try to dimple the middle again. In 30 sec I should be getting more than 30 grams, so either lightening the tamp or coarsening the grind might work. I will try this later today (ugh, have to drink more coffee)

I seem to have been getting better shots with 17-18 grams in the basket when I started this, so after a few more variable changes if it is not tastier, I will try 17g and go from there.

Looking for a VST..

#19: Post by spawn_x (original poster) »

Well, I made the grind a bit coarser and tamped a bit lighter..

16 grams in
38.2 grams out
28 seconds
WDT (though probably done poorly)
NSEW tamp
Dimpled the top
Taste? I don't know, but I don't have my Intelligentsia like shot yet :(

There was a pinhole on top again, so I think the basket / tamp / distribution is off. Not sure what else I can do for now. I will wait for my naked PF and try to buy a VST basket. I think the naked PF will help me more than examining the puck?

don't mind me, this sort of turned into a journal for me to keep my thoughts together.

#20: Post by spawn_x (original poster) »

Got the naked PF! Grind remained the same, but I started tamping normally. I think somewhere along the lines, my tamps basically turned into 6-7lb.

Not a very even extraction. Tamped normally, even with the coarser settings, the 16.2 grams only gave me 24 grams of drink in about 30 seconds, so I coarsened it up a bit, and will try again after I buy more milk :D

This naked PF is money though. Pretty excited to not have it squirting everywhere though