Replace or Complement my Pavoni? (Upgrade-itis thread warning!)

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
roanjohn

#1: Post by roanjohn »

Posted a thread under "Buying Advice" section (Profitec 300 vs Appartamento) but would like to get some opinions from Lever enthusiasts :mrgreen:

Have been doing a lot of research since this "coffee bug" bit and I'm having fun!

Currently own a La Pavoni but only started using it "properly" a few months ago when I purchased my first grinder (Baratza Vario). I've had the Pavoni for >5 years and have always paired it with pre-grounded beans from grocery stores - I know, "what was I thinking?!!!" - definitely a "duh" moment. In any case, I added an HG-1 grinder to complement the Pavoni so I can easily single dose and try out different beans without having to empty the Vario. (HG1 should arrive this Friday - I'm SUPER excited). I'm also still learning the Pavoni - haven't mastered it 100%

I was all set to purchase the Profitec 300 to complement the Pavoni but now I'm not sure if I should just go ahead and save $$$ and purchase an Olympia Cremina and just have that as my only machine. OTOH, the Profitec is MUCH cheaper and I can try out different methods of making my daily espresso (Lever and Pump).

PROS of having 2 machine - Convenience - with the Profitec (speed, multiple shots, consistency). Variety (Lever/Pump). Back-up (in case one breaks or in need of repair).
PROS of having the Cremina only - COUNTER SPACE (this is a BIG one)! LOL! I am also romanced by this elusive machine from reading it's history and the almost cult-ish following from it's owners. I have looked at the used market but I am leery - so would definitely buy it new - UNLESS I can do a local sale in person.

Anybody here have a 2 (or more) machine set-up? Lever and Pump/E61? Did you use the Lever machine less and less?

With the Cremina - I'm not sure if I will gain anything from my current set-up. I've heard varying opinions (Pavoni = Cremina) and (Cremina > or >>>! Pavoni). Haven't heard (Cremina < Pavoni) so that is a good thing and why I am considering this route.

Have looked at the Strega and Londinium but they are both too tall and too big for my tiny kitchen. Also considered the Strietman for a hot second - but I drink a LOT of lattes.

grog

#2: Post by grog »

You will find many people here who have multiple machines, levers and otherwise. If you have a place where you can have multiple machines other than your kitchen, you may find you enjoy having different options to cycle through. I keep my Cremina on the kitchen counter always, but have several other levers that rotate through for comparison, or because they do well with specific coffees, and mostly just because it's fun to play with different machines. I've never had a pump machine so can't comment on those or any comparisons with levers.

The only Pavoni I've had that I would say compares to a Cremina is the first gen machines, produced 1961 - early 1974. Sometime in '74 they switched to the second gen steam heated group and other compromises began, such as an inferior base. Even with the first gen, while the shot quality is comparable (and many would say you can get comparable shot quality across all Pavoni iterations with a refined technique), there are aspects of the Cremina that are still superior in my mind. The pStat means you can leave it on for however long, versus a first gen Pavoni which you will want to have powered off when you aren't actively using the machine for pulling a shot or steaming. There are folks who have modified first gen Pavonis with pStats and some other things, although that's a considerable (and fun, I bet) undertaking. Use the search function for 'ultimate Pavoni'. The case on the machine greatly lessens the chance of burning yourself on the boiler. The drip tray design is such that even being sloppy and leaving liquid in there, won't compromise the structural integrity of the frame, unlike the Pavoni. And overall the build quality on Creminas is just superior.

Again, I would always tell someone to keep machines if you have the space and the financial capacity, as it's just fun to compare coffees across machines that you have dialed in. The Pavoni is a great lever and I'm happy to have my 1962 Europiccola. Just pulled a tasty shot of Ethiopian this morning on it, in fact.
LMWDP #514

Advertisement
roanjohn (original poster)

#3: Post by roanjohn (original poster) »

grog wrote:
Again, I would always tell someone to keep machines if you have the space and the financial capacity, as it's just fun to compare coffees across machines that you have dialed in. The Pavoni is a great lever and I'm happy to have my 1962 Europiccola. Just pulled a tasty shot of Ethiopian this morning on it, in fact.
Grog - thanks! Good advice. I think I have come to realize that you can never have too many of these things! :mrgreen:

There is something about Lever machines that make my heart go pitter-patter! LOL! Not so much with Pump/E61 group heads. Somehow, the electrical and complicated mechanical aspects of these machine turns me off.

I've been digging deeper into the Strietman CT1 and I am this close to buying it! Much cheaper than a new Cremina - and I am loving the design and the simplicity. Having it ready in less than 10 minutes and temp consistency from shot to shot are what's selling it for me. Maybe I will buy the CT1 and have the Pavoni on the side to steam the milk!

rpavlis

#4: Post by rpavlis »

I have three La Pavoni machines, an early 1964 one, a 1978 one, and a 1999 one. I also have a Micro Casa a Leva. The 1978 is a two switch model, the 1998 has a pressurestat. The MCAL is 2013 or 2014, I forget which. The early La Pavoni is indeed a wonderful machine. The MCAL has decent quality of construction in the present age of frequent junk quality manufacturing. When I got it I did not run to the shop to start machining replacement parts!

For one or two shots I usually use the 1999 La Pavoni. It is all real brass, and much of what was not brass is now! It is modified a lot, with a lot of parts I modified.

For milk drinks I essentially always use the MCAL. I never leave the machines idle, however, and all get their turn for use. I do not like to use the 1964 one because it is difficult to get or make replacement parts for it. Still it is the choice when there are guests and I am making more than two because it has such good heat stability, once one masters how to use it. When I travel I always take the 1999 one, especially if going to a place with high altitude. Above about 1500 metres altitude the 2nd generation machines do not have over heating problems!

drgary
Team HB

#5: Post by drgary »

I have four La Pavoni machines, a Cremina, and of course other machines. I'm getting ready to bring my 2002 Europiccola to the office, so I was dialing it in the last two days on a difficult coffee.* I am now getting several delicious shots in a row. I am able to vary my pulls by feel and am not measuring the weight of coffee on a scale. So, much of this is being used to the machine. On this Millennium Europiccola I have a thermometer attached to the group, which means I'm not going to miss on temperature.

* The difficult coffee is a home roasted single origin Rwanda that is barely developed enough. As a pourover it tastes bland. With a fine grind, a starting outer group temperature of 206F and sufficient pre-infusion, it makes a very clean and fruity espresso.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

roanjohn (original poster)

#6: Post by roanjohn (original poster) »

Pulled the trigger on a CT-1.

Now the wait begins.

Thanks all for the advice! **I'm glad to see lever users keeping/collecting a bunch a Pavonis - it is a temperamental beauty for sure.** I will keep both machines side by side and will use the Pavoni on the occasional milk drinks.

I think I made the right decision :|

DanoM

#7: Post by DanoM »

When I purchased my Bezzera Strega I kept the La Pavoni as a backup for those times when the Strega might be offline for service. That never happened.

Then when I was moving to Japan I thought about selling the La Pavoni so I'd have one less thing to move, but I kept it as a backup and thought I might sell it here in Japan.

Now the Strega is in storage since I don't have counter space yet, and the La Pavoni is the daily driver. I've put nearly 1500 shots through this little La Pavoni in the 6 months I've been using it, and it's been great. That's 1500 single shots dosed, hand ground, and hand pulled! :shock: Granted, I modified it a bit to get it temperature stable, but since then it's been a breeze to operate.

Glad I kept it, and I'm sure the day will come when you are glad to have yours in reserve too.
LMWDP #445

Advertisement
Abnuceals

#8: Post by Abnuceals »

Roanjohn, you took a good decision. I'm sure you won't regret it. The only problem with the CT1 is the long wait before you will receive it. I'm patiently waiting for mine and do not expect it before October. But expectation is also a part of the pleasure to own such a a piece of art espresso machine. The CT1 is this kind of things you want to keep all your life long. 8) .
LMWDP 389

CoffeeBar

#9: Post by CoffeeBar »

rpavlis wrote:

For one or two shots I usually use the 1999 La Pavoni. It is all real brass, and much of what was not brass is now! It is modified a lot, with a lot of parts I modified.
Hi rpavlis, I always wanted to get one of this Full copper and brass Europiccola one day. May I know which year of Europiccola model I should get? and what are those parts you modified? I appreciate you, if you could show me how and maybe pictures would be even great . :)

Thank you