How many pulls on a La Pavoni Professional - Page 3

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
jonr

#21: Post by jonr »

I second that - lighten the dose such that a single pull provides the desired brew ratio. Most likely you will also find that this creates a puck depth (in grams per sq mm) consistent with what others have found optimal on other machines. I don't pay any attention to what percentage of some basket is filled.

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#22: Post by jwCrema »

I am ex-LPP, and I tried a double pull a few times. My taste experience from it was somewhere between yuk & ick. Maybe some one knows how to do a double pull, mine tasted scorched with bitter thrown in.

I completely agree with the dosing advice - go that route.

roanjohn (original poster)

#23: Post by roanjohn (original poster) »

Thanks all! Back to the drawing board for me. I have to get this right. Practice makes perfect.

Incidentally, 2 pulls always gives me 2 ounce (volume) using the double basket.

I never drink straight shots - only with milk.........so imperfections are masked I guess :mrgreen:

Calendar

#24: Post by Calendar »

I'm a relative newbie to the Pavoni Pro (2nd gen), and am making good progress with my shots.

I'll echo what's said above. You want to weigh the ground coffee and then weigh the shot. You should be able to make a "normale" - i.e. 40% to 60% brew ratio of coffee to espresso with one pull. From there make whatever changes you desire for taste.

I'm loading 14.5 grams into a double Elektra basket and getting 30ish grams out with one pull (48% ratio). I give it a couple of wiggles before the pull, but no other moves.

#25: Post by roanjohn (original poster) replying to Calendar »

Thanks. Haven't weighted any of my shots - I merely use 2x 1 ounce shot glasses and pull until I get to 2 ounces. This takes 2 pull with the 1st pull having 6-10 sec pre-infusion and the 2nd pull with no pre-infusion, just a quick up and down.

#26: Post by roanjohn (original poster) »

.......on a different note, I added an HG1 grinder to my arsenal. Should arrive this Friday :D :D

I feel like single-dosing will be a better way to master my technique.

#27: Post by roanjohn (original poster) »

.........just an update.

Thanks to this forum - and specifically this thread (Cleaning the La Pavoni Europiccola) - I removed the dispersion screen after >2 years - and what I found was gunk upon gunk of dried coffee grinds blocking the outer perimeter of my dispersion screen (>50% surface area). There was also a build up (approx 1 cm) of caked coffee grinds in the bottom of my piston (?). I had to use my nail and finally the tip of a wooden spatula to dislodge the caked-coffee-crud. Soaked the screen in espresso detergent for 30 minutes and put everything back together.

Turned the machine ON - pulled a blank shot without the portafilter and hot water came straight down the whole surface area of the screen - without sputtering (!!!). Before cleaning, this would not be possible as hot water would spray out all over my counter.

Paired with a bottomless portafilter (A MUST INVESTMENT!!) - the coffee coming out of this machine (combined with HG-1) is taking me to espresso heaven.

To answer my question: 1 Pull - and no more.

:D

Chert

#28: Post by Chert »

+1.

One pull is all it takes... to make world class espresso with a giant conical burred grinder and a La Pavoni lever.
LMWDP #198